Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
How Would a sony handy cam hold up to the elements? >

How Would a sony handy cam hold up to the elements?

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

How Would a sony handy cam hold up to the elements?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default How Would a sony handy cam hold up to the elements?

I have a sony handy cam how waterproof is it and how would a camera like this hold up in the cold?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bhtc53
I have a sony handy cam how waterproof is it and how would a camera like this hold up in the cold?
I don't know of any cam that's really waterproof =) I would try to keep any cam out of the water/moisture as much as possible in any case.. It's debatable but I've heard Sony cams hold up better to adverse conditions than Canons do.. I've heard more stories of a Canon going kaputz due to cold weather than a Sony..
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

heres my trick... i got this huge reversible toboggan hat at walmart and i just carry it in my bag and keep it over my camera. also plastic baggies work in the rain
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

yeah, even the high end HD cameras aren't any more water resistant than any others. Keeping your camera out in the rain or snow is a bad idea without having it protected somehow. Rain covers are ok but make some of the features on your camera hard to access. I use a piece of camo goretex fabric and just drape it over the camera if it is a light rain, but if it gets heavy it goes in the pack. Another thing many people forget about is condensation. If you are hunting/filming in cold weather and when you get home you want to take it in the house and watch your evenings hunt. Bringing a cold camera into that warm environment will cause major condensation inside the camera, also if you play the tape and get moisture on the heads you can cause all sorts of problems with your footage!!! Good luck with your filming!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

My camera is water proof. I bought it for scuba diving. It has a housing and is waterproof down to 200 feet I think. They make a case for the handi cam and most sony cams for around the low price of 800 bucks FOR THE HOUSING.

I am going to get my a HD sony handicam and will not use it in the rain. If it starts raining I will drop it in a zip lock and put it in the case.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

as for moisture this is a issue when diving. If you take a camera out of warm air into cold water you get the same effect. Nothing like being a 60 feet deep and fogging up. You can slowly lower the temp over night and slowly bring it back up.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Or having a buck in front of you and not being able to shoot because the camera is telling you there is moisture on the heads....or even worse thinking you got a kill on camera only to find out it didn't record!!!! Now that sucks!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Spike

Take a look at the Kodak Playsport. Kodak is now developing both video and still cameras specifically for the outdoorsman. www.kodakoutdoors.com

Just to be clear, this is not a sales bit. I work for Kodak. I am a computer jockey and not directly connected to marketing. I am also a licensed guide/outfitter. I hunt in Wyoming, Utah, PA, NY and Africa. Kodak cameras have accompanied me on all of my adventures.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have some high end video units and also a sony and so far it is holding up to the harsh cold of South Dakota but like the rest when the moisture hits they go inside.