Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

what camera to buy??

Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Spike

Cameras for kids and beginners? I found a cheap alternative that kept the family happy. I'm happy with my fifteen or so cameras but my wife and two sons don't share my sickness and find them all too difficult, weird or intimidating. They have no interest in taking more than the occasional snapshot - after all, I can do the tricky stuff, can't I? So, while buying a Canon Speedlight in a second hand shop, I also bought an old Canon Sureshot (Autoboy) for my 15 year old son for about $US25. It was old (early '80's?) but solid - the first autofocus P&S, I think. The results he got without trying were so good that I took a closer look. Good viewfinder, focus indicator, robust, AA batteries. Great. For $15, I bought another one for my other son, a 21 year old who seems to take most of his snapshots at drunken parties or similarly extreme environments. Even better! I bought one for my wife too! Then one to keep in the car as a 'just in case.' In all. I bought five for between $10 to $25 and only had to take one back as a dud - most pawn shops offer a one month or a one film warranty. I lend them to people, lend them to my students (take a few shots for the school magazine on that sports excursion), take them out in the rain and sand and, when I finally break one, I'll throw it away gratefully. They're small and black so are good street shooters, especially in awkward situations like protests. And f2.8 isn't too bad either. This is the ultimate disposeable - Canon must have made squillions of them. I think they almost all still work and seem to have been owned by people who hardly used them.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

We shoot our videos using the HV20, it's a great camera all around. Especially for the price.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard a lot of people talking about the HV20 and HV30. I am looking to buy my own camera. I have been getting by just using my mom's Sony DCR-SR85. Of the HV20 and HV30 which one is more expensive? And will these cameras take pictures like the Sony I'm used to? Thanks! Kash
Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

The HV30 will cost more than the HV20. I really can't tell you the differences in the two. The 20 has a silver finish and the 30 has a black finish. There are a couple other features the HV30 has but i can't remember now.

I would have to say the Canon would take better video. All reviews i had read said it had the best quality video than any others in it's price range and the next price range up.

You would be suprised to know how many big screen movie scenes and music videos out there are done with theCanon HV series videocamera.

There is also the HV40 that has been out for a short time.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Spike

I wouldn't be too concerned with low light folks. I have been recording whitetail hunts for going on 5 years now and I can count on 1 hand the number of times we could have gotten it done if we had better light for our camera.

You should do some research on cameras before you buy one. You should know what you want first and what you want to do with it, that will drive your buying decision.

If you don't care about HD vs SD, then check out the Sony PD170 or the Canon GL2. A lot of people started in the industry with these cameras, even Drury bros!

I am not fan of consumer camcorders, but budgets are budgets and you have to stick to them. I think I would watch a video and tell you right away wether or not it was shot with consumer or prosumer camcorder.

Image stabalization and 20X zoom are very important to hunting videos! You wont find both with consumer camcorders. But then again, if you are just doing it for fun, the consumer camcorders will work just fine! Your next question then should be tape or tapeless. It all depends on you! I use tapes....for backup purposes, but I also download my hunts and put them together for myself. Tapeless is easier for that, as every time you hit record and stop, you get a file. But, lose your computer or whatever you save things on and your work is GONE! Good thing now a days, external hard drivers are cheap...so back up your back up your back up!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Spike

I agree as well on the hv-20 or the hv-30 awesome camera for the money. The quality of the footage is great I dont think you could go wrong at all. I just recently saw a refurbished hv-30 on canon's site for $468 I believe they dont last long on the site though.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Spike

Default canon rebel t2i

look at the rebel t2i its a bit above your price range but the video is incredible as well as its still photography capabilities, you can also have multiple lenses which opens up a world to you.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Spike

Do not overlook the DSLR, i use a Sony A-57, and it out preforms some $700-$1,100 mini dv and digital camcorders. Lots of accsesories, relatively compact, CHEEP, 1080p at 60 fps (very nice for hunting and fishing), also the A-37 is in reality the same camera just smaller body size and cheeper. Everything about their photo/video functionalities is the same. Hope it helped!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Spike

I have the Canon VIXIA HF M500. It record full HD (1920 X 1080) video directly to a removable SD memory card. It work very well in low light. I paid $550.00 for the camera.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+H...&skuId=7756048

I use one similiar to this. You can mount it anywhere, including on your bow. Then store your footage, on a disk, card, thumb drive, or your computer. It takes very good HD footage, and has held up to high heat, as well as November in Northern Quebec. I find it also records pretty well in low light conditions.

ATB