Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
Need a high quality camera >

Need a high quality camera

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Need a high quality camera

Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need a high quality camera

I have recently started filming my hunts, my wife's hunts and some friends hunts. I use a cheap little sony handycam and am ready to upgrade. I have looked at a Sony and I think it was a cannon gl2. I would like to know what your opinions are for a high end HD camera. I would like specific options like a shotgun mic, ability to attach a light for night interviews and ability to use a wireless mic on the hunter. I am on a $3000 MAX budget. Thanks a ton
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike

I run a rode videomic on my canon hv20 and it works awesome. Rode has other mics to choose from too that aren't ridiculously priced.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimmy28303
I have recently started filming my hunts, my wife's hunts and some friends hunts. I use a cheap little sony handycam and am ready to upgrade. I have looked at a Sony and I think it was a cannon gl2. I would like to know what your opinions are for a high end HD camera. I would like specific options like a shotgun mic, ability to attach a light for night interviews and ability to use a wireless mic on the hunter. I am on a $3000 MAX budget. Thanks a ton

$3000 got me a used Sony HVR-Z1U, shotgun mic, battery pack, tapes and bag. Now, I know the guy I bought from, so I did get a deal. BUT you can find a good camera, that's used, that'll fit your budget. If you are truly serious, I understand TOC is only accepting filmed hunts in hi def, so look for a high def (1080p) camera.

Learn your camera! There are A LOT more buttons on a high end camera than there are on a Handycam. Vicki Cianciarulo once told me that's it's mostly common sense, like keeping the camera steady and focus focus focus! lol Just do a lot of practicing when you get one and you'll be an old pro in no time.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Sent ya a PM Jimmy.