Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

videoing hunts

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default videoing hunts

so ive been doing alot of reasearch and noticed that the canon Gl2s have given some people alot of problems and then some people say they love them and wouldnt trade them for anything else. Can someone that has them tell me a little about them. Do you like them and is it a good camera to purchase to film quality hunts or what kind of camera would you reccomend for under 2000. Also im going to get a camera soon but im just looking for something smaller and cheap like under 500 bucks. What is a good camera for 500 or less that has good video quality and decent low light quality. Im going to be attending SIU this fall and my cousin who is in video down there is going to edit all of our hunts and make a movie for us. And would Mini DV be reccomended or what would some of you guys reccomend for good quality. We want to start off small and work our way up to bigger and better these next couple years. Any help to get us on our feet and started would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Down&OutHunting; 07-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM

If you shop nowadays you should be able to buy a XL2 for under $2000, and it is 3x the camera that the GL2 is! For under $500, the Panasonics are really good, look for a 3CCD camera, and make sure it has external mic capabilities.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought the Sony CX100. High Definiton, and does pretty good in low light conditions. You can get it for about $450-$500
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

I bought a canon hv20 that runs miniDV and love it. Its a full hd camera that produces stunning images I never would've expected being so much cheaper than its canon big brothers. With the addition of a rode videomic and a wide angle lens there isn't much it cant do.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Most any HD camera will give you a better image than a standard def camera. Even if you convert the HD back down to SD. I agree with nixon, the Canon HVxx line is very good for the price. Here's some info on where to buy one. http://hv20.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
so ive been doing alot of reasearch and noticed that the canon Gl2s have given some people alot of problems and then some people say they love them and wouldnt trade them for anything else. Can someone that has them tell me a little about them. Do you like them and is it a good camera to purchase to film quality hunts or what kind of camera would you reccomend for under 2000. Also im going to get a camera soon but im just looking for something smaller and cheap like under 500 bucks. What is a good camera for 500 or less that has good video quality and decent low light quality. Im going to be attending SIU this fall and my cousin who is in video down there is going to edit all of our hunts and make a movie for us. And would Mini DV be reccomended or what would some of you guys reccomend for good quality. We want to start off small and work our way up to bigger and better these next couple years. Any help to get us on our feet and started would be greatly appreciated.
I did this video last week using the GL2. Its been great for me. It takes a lot of abuse as well but keeps on running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2gUxODJ80
Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Banned

You can buy Canon 32GB vixia HF R52 Full HD Camcorder. It cost $399.99 only. It has 32GB of internal storage and an SD Memory Card Slot. I too have the same, and provides good picture quality.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:08 AM
Spike

Thanks for info...