Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

What do I need?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default What do I need?

I'm currently filming with a Sony HVR-Z1U in HDV mode and I also have a Panasonic GS 320 for 2nd angles. I just ordered a "beefed up" laptop for home and would like to use it to make copies of my footage via a firewire.

I would also like to dabble a bit in editing, but nothing serious. What software would you suggest???? Is there anything else I am forgetting.

(At a minimum I would like to burn backups of my tapes)

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Default RE: What do I need?

There are several inexpensive editing programs to do some decent basic editing with a few premade motion effects like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle Studio, or if you have a Mac... Final Cut Express. Now if you are wanting to do some serious editing with alot of capatible programs and accessories I would look at Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and up for PC, or for Mac Final Cut Studio 1 and up. I personally like using the Mac for editing as it is alot more stable operating system without alot of the locking up or glitches, especially during rendering phase!!! With PC you will want all of the RAM you can get, with a minimum of 2GB in my opinion, and preferably 3 to 4 GB at least. Also you want to get plenty of external hard drive storage to capture all of your footage to, etc. So get you a 500GB hard drive at least. Good luck and have fun!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend Pinnacle Studio, a good processor...and most importantly DVD's that will not skip....trust me on this..because I have a wedding video side business...You must buy Tayo Yuiden DVD's if you want Zero error with DVD's. Good Luck! Find a good base of music too...MP3 format only.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Well, the laptop I ordered has 4GB ram and a 500GB hard drive....so I got that part covered. Now I will just do some software shopping.

One more question......how big are the files when the footage is downloaded? Can an entire 60 minute tape be downloaded and stored? I know nothing about this stuff
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 60 minute video for me is about 4GB...

Buy Pinnacle 12...its easy..and Chris Lungbuster and I can walk you through the kinks..I'm here every day for software questions..

Your PC is sounding good..

I have a XPS Dell with a QUAD core and I cut my video editting time in half this year..its crazy...Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I also got the Dell XPS with all the trimmin's
Thanks for the help!!!!

Scott
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 12 for $129.99?? Am I looking in the right place??
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

YEP..If you have HD you're going to have to get the ultimate package for a about 50 bucks more...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Longbuster was running Pinnacle...I think he still is..

like I said in the Pm..I have a few Pinnacle clips

at www.huntingworkshop.com click on videos

Its fun stuff.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

The videos look great..........can't wait to get started!!!

THANKS!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.