Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

new Camera

Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default new Camera

Hey guys I'm looking to just take sopme really nice pictures of wildlife in the off season from about 300 yards. What would be a good camera to get for about $500 or less?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new Camera

300 yards is a long way off for most cameras taking pictures of wildlife. At that distance, it would take a SLR-type camera with a lens costing more than the camera. $500 would get you close to the camera, but the lens you would need would cost you much, much more. My suggestion would be to get the best dSLR your can afford, then add lenses as your budget allows.

Although it will be some over your budget, take a look at the Nikon D80. Since the introduction of the D90, these cameras have gotten very affordable, and they are still very good, very usable cameras. The Canon EOS Rebel XSI is another option. My mom uses one of these, and I've used the camera some, and it is a very good camera. If you've got a local camera shop nearby, stop by and look and handle some of their dSLR cameras, and they can probably give you a little better feel of what you like and don't like.

With either camera, you can start with the basics and then add lenses as your budget allows. Canon makes lenses with IS (Image Stabilization) and Nikon makes lenses with VR (vibration reduction). Both systems are designed to help you out a little bit when you are trying to hand-hold the camera by taking some of the "shake" out of your hands. If you are using a tripod, it doesn't matter. If you do buy a Canon or a Nikon, you will want to stick with that brand, because the lenses are not cross-compatible. In other words, a lens that fits a Canon won't fit a Nikon and vice-versa. However, both have an overabundance of lens options, so you wouldn't be limited in lens options by buying either camera.

A lens in the 50-250 or 100-300 range would be a good place to start. I'm using a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G lens for most of my shots, and it works excellent. However, that lens is in the $500 range. But, I can get some good shots at pretty decent ranges. Probably not 300 yards, but not impossibly close, either.

I'd also get a UV-filter for every lens I own. Just a cheap one, but I'd still recommend getting them, because accidentally scratching them is a lot cheaper than accidentally scratching a lens.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new Camera

I am using the Nikon D40 camera with the 300mm VR lens also. I have found that is good for about 80 yards or so without having to crop a whole lot. This would be a good start for you. Keep it clean an in a protected case when not in use.

http://www.adorama.com/NK70300AFVRU.html?searchinfo=nikon%20vr%20lens&amp ;item_no=13