Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Need help with a video problem >

Need help with a video problem

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Need help with a video problem

Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Spike

Default Need help with a video problem

Got some great footage of a 12 year old boy shooting a P&Y quality buck (won't make it due to a broken G3 but a NICE buck anyway). The shot was questionable so we watched the tape in the tree 3-4 times to see where the buck was hit. Tape played fine. Back at the lodge, we watched again, this time on a tv with the tape being played through my camera. This time, the tape slowed as the deer was running away and there is a couple frames "missing" from the tape. I cleaned the heads a couple times, but still the same problem, same thing when I tried downloading video to the PC. When played at normal speed the tape plays fine except it hangs up a little at the same point then jumps ahead a couple frames. Ifplayed in slow motion, at the same spot it will actually cause the tape to stop. I'm shooting a Sony HDR-FX1 with Sony digital HD mini DV tapes, brand new tape each time out. It's not a big problem since we have the impact shot clearly, but is there anything that can be done to fix this blemish and how did it happen in the first place?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Default RE: Need help with a video problem

I would say that the tape itself is dirty...Mini DV tapes can be fragile at times. They can be sensitive to moisture, extreme temps, and dust. You can probably make the problem a little smoother in the editing process...Technology is great when it works, but stinks when it don't.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you had dirt on the heads when the tape was recorded.............no way to get it back to "normal", but you can get creative editing and make it less noticable........................are you using the same type tape everytime? (wet lube or dry lube?) If you are switching between tapes you may cause the situation you described.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure...but agree with the others..You may want to crop pieces of the hunt and get creative.