Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Camo Camera? Protection? >

Camo Camera? Protection?

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camo Camera? Protection?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camo Camera? Protection?

Hey Guys..Just out of curiosity..what are you guy using?...I know some are not...including me...

1)What are you using to camo your cam? I saw Chris(Pronghorn) has some stuff hangin off his set-up

2)What do you carry your camera in as you enter your stand?

3)What precautions are you taking to ensure your cam is not harmed on your hunts?

Separate Question...I have a cheap Gorrilla arm I use with my PANI AG-DVC30's

With the expensive camera arms...is the up and down motion that much more fluid? Side to side is fine....I guess I just need to buy a 200 dollar arm and learn more...My gut is telling me...regardless of the arm...solo footage out of the stand is going to be tough...even with a top nothc arm?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camo Camera? Protection?

I'm just a guy who likes to film hunting, and maybe go somewhere with it someday, but i've already learned that no matter how you want to film your hunts, it's gonna be hard! I learned it the hard way especailly cause i like to hunt solo alot of the time...
I just have a camcorder with camo tape over it...
we just have a cheap video camera bag, and go from there...
It's really just a camcorder, so we're not too freaked out if something does happen, the only thing i really worry about is the rain and cold...
Gerard
Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

I only camo up the cam for turkeys........in the whitetail woods I don't use anything on the camera.............Dude you need to empty your message box,it's full!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

DUDE!!! OK!!..gonna empty now.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

I just use camo mole-skin. Make a template outta paper then trace it onto the hole skin and cut it out. I'll try and get some pics if you guys want them
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hotyteen, Chase that Michigan Dream..I've been doing it since 1986 when I was 11...and its been a fun ride.

Just tell everyone to let the bucks grow'round here...jeezzz..
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Spike

1 - I don't have any camo on my camera or accesories. I also film weddings with the same camera as hunts and thought it might make my camera gear look "red-neck" which you obviously don't want when filming formal weddings. I've not had a problem with deer seeing or getting spooked by the camera. I DO try to avoid letting the sun reflect off the lens though by the way I set-up and postion the camera.

2 - I carry the camera on my shoulder or in my hand while walking to the stand. Usually I have it powered on so I can get quick scenery shots or deer sign on film. I have my gear and my stand on my back, bow in one hand (if I'm hunting) and camera in the other hand ready to roll.

3 - I try to be mindful of where I set the camera and make sure I don't bang it against my stand or brush. When walking through thick stuff I make sure the lens is covered to keep dust and debris from scratching it. I also have a cheap UV filter over the camera lens to help protect it. Other then that I don't do much. I have a nice padded case that I use for transport in my truck.

Regarding your camera arm question, YES the expensive arms/fluid headsdo make it that much more fluid and QUIET. Solo footage is tough, but having a rock-solid arm and good head make it much easier. I'm using a Muddy Arm with the Bogen/Manfrotto 701HD head. I LOVE the muddy arm. That thing sits on the tree so tight I could hang from up and do chin ups. It's also great how the base and arm detach to make it easier to hang. I highly recommend it.

JIM
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

x"s 2 on the Muddy arm..............rock solid and quick to set up..........best camera arm for the price right now!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim & Chris...thanks for the pointers....I second that...outside of turkeys...I'll pass on camo'ing up my wedding cam

And my turkey hunts are from tent blinds most of the time...

I'm off to buy a muddy arm....

Talk soon guys...

Quick Reply: Camo Camera? Protection?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.