Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 opinions appreciated! >

opinions appreciated!

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

opinions appreciated!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Default opinions appreciated!

I have done a good bit of filming with my buddies GL2, and I am looking to get my own camera. This is purely to make DVD's for my own personal fun. I will be editing with a regular mac. Should I get a GL2, an x1a, a sony, or should I get a $600 one that weighs 1/3 of the prosumer ones, and have optical zoom up to 40x. HD or not? How do these smaller lens do in low light. Basically, I'm asking what you would buy. Specific models and why. Thanks, G
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default RE: opinions appreciated!

What's your budget and how serious are you? Once I started filming with my mini Sony Handi-Cam I was hooked and the next season felt the need to upgrade. If you think that could happen to you, don't spend the money on a $600 camera and instead upgrade to pro equipment now. OR, maybe you're not the type to get carried away and you'll be very satisfied with a really great consumer camera and produce some really cool videos. If you have money and are easily hooked, spend the money for the pro equipment now.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

I disagree. Buy what you are most comfortable with and the best you can afford and learn how to use it effectively to its maximum use.
More expensive DOES NOT translate to better video--experience does and using the available equipment to its maximum potential.
I think better writing & scripting makes a better show not expensive equipment.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would definitely spend the money on a camera that allows you to use manual functions. Auto functions, especially auto focus, are not woods friendly. If you want to get footage you can enjoy for years to come, spend a little extra money and make sure you are able to get the footage you want.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 AM

I would go with a GL2 your already familiar with it. Its easy to use has all the manual functions you need. And has a 20x zoom, shouldn't need more than that for most hunting. whatever you get make sure it has a manual focus ring of some kind not just manual focus