Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Using two cameras

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using two cameras

We are kicking around the idea of using two cameras in the tree this fall. Our XH will be the main camera used for everything, but we might add another as a fixed position cam that stays locked on the hunter. The camera man will have a remote and upon an encounter will set it to record. This way we can have the actual sequence of the hunter drawing when it happens, not a cut-away done after the fact.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Do you think a wide angle, or fish eye lens is going to be required in order to get the hunter in frame?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using two cameras

We've been doing that for couple of years now. I would highly recommend a wide angle lens. It helps give you a bigger field of view. Sometimes, if really lucky you can get the animal and the hunter in the same shot. We used to zoom out right before the hunter would draw, get him drawing the bow and then zoom back in to the animal. It was tricky to get it timed right. With the second angle, the main camera never has to leave the animal. And like you stated before, no reenactment. Just keeping it real time! Lots of times you'll see a split screen with both angles side by side.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Better have plenty of batteries! We used to do it, but got away from it, as it was too much extra equipment, and then you had to mess with starting up the second camera, changing batteries to leave it always running, etc, etc. We just make sure and shoot from above and near the hunter as possible and get him in frame with the animal if possible, and then we do a few cutaways of picking up the bow, appling the release, and drawing, etc. This way we get good tight footage on some products that are sponsors, etc. Either way, knock yourself out and have fun doing it!! Give it a try and see what you think, some don't mind doing it, me... 1 camera is all I need.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually think its a great idea with a good battery....

I think this way you can edit in the REAL footage of drawing back...

I sometime edit in my draw and some close ups to build my story...the viewer can't tell ...but I have to!....Its just me and the cam!...and I want to show more then just the kill.!!..

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, we use the POV.1 - wideangle to capture a second camera angle.

These things are sweet! They are waterproof, run on 4 AA batteries, record onto an SD card (1GB included), can be controlled wireless with the included remote.

Check it out! http://www.heartlandbowhunter.com/Pr...p;idproduct=17

Also, if you have watched any of our TV episodes you can see it being used. Check out episode 3 and 4: http://www.heartlandbowhunter.com/hbtv.html