Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Editing software?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default Editing software?

I'm in the process of getting a canon hv20. I know almost nothing about videoing and even less about editing.

1) What's a good editing program for a newbie?

I'm not sure I'll be trying to record in HD in the beginning since I don't own a HD tv. (not yet.. not yet... )

My computer is probably a bit weak for this too. It's a HP with with a pentium 4, 3.00GHz. .99 GB of RAM (.99?) I think it has 193 GB of free disk space. (windows XPmedia center edition)

2) Should I buy an extra hard drive?

3) Do I need a whole new computer?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Editing software?

I am interested in the reponses here as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I've been using Sony Vegas 7 which is pretty powerful, although I really have no idea what the heck I am doing with it. Chances are I'd be just as well off with a lesser program with easier to use functions. However, I'm a dork and like the challenge of figuring out "new" stuff.

If I was in your shoes I would look into picking up a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements. I think you can get it for around $100. It's basically a slimmed-down version of the program that a lot of professionals use for video editing, made specifically for the home consumer.

In regards to your computer its about the same as what I've got at home, which I've found is a little underpowered for efficient video editing. I can edit/chop/splice/hack stuff together alright, but when it comes time to render the final video file forget about it. Half the time I go to bed and let it render overnight because it takes forever. I'd say if you're going to do a decent amount of editing to upgrade. You'll want a dual core processor and at least 2GB of RAM for sure.

Hard drives are cheap so don't worry too much about getting the biggest internal drive you can find. Each standard definition tape captured in full to your hard drive takes up about 13 GB of space, so plan accordingly. Even in my limited amount of fimling this year I chewed through 20 hours of tape, which took up 200+ GB of my 500 GB external drive. But like I said, they're cheap and you can always buy more.

That's all I've got. Take it for what it's worth, I only halfway know what I'm talking about. Kind of like most things in life.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks J!

What about the new quad-core chips they're putting in the newer 'puters? Would they work better than the duo core? Will the new Vista operating system work with Adobe or Vegas? (not that I'm going to run right out and get a new 'puter)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Adobe Premier. I watched a lot of free online tutorials & picked it up prettyfairly quick. I can't say I'd recommended it over the other programs, as I don't have a lot of experience with many other editing programs, for comparison.

A while back, I ordered a new computer from Dell with Duo Core Processors. The mistake I made is buying it with Windows Vista, as that was the only option I had with the configuration I wanted.. There are a lot of quirky issues with Vista & Video Editing. I ended up partioning the harddrive and loading XP onto it as well, so I can dual boot into either OS. It was a pain, creating other hardware issues, but eventually got it all worked out.

If you do decide to go with Vista, make sure there are Vista Compatible drivers for your camcorder for USB. But if you want to use firewire(recommended) instead of USB, make sure you have XP, as Vista and IEEE 1394 (firewire) have known compatibility issues. Issue's that I hope Vista will address in upcoming SP's. But I've also read some reports where the issue's can very depending on the type of Vista you are using (Home, Business, Ultimate, Premium, etc).
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is, the more that you spend on a computer the less problems you will have down the road. Ireally enjoy editing video.I am sure you will too.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adobe Pramier is a good pragram to use, however final cut is my favorite!!! I use final cut in all my editing classes at college!!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would upgrade to a mac if you wanted to get something new as well.....they are sweet
Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Premiere is an awesome program to edit with. I don't have the best computer in the world so it takes a ton of time to edit with premiere. I can edit quicker with sony vegas. Like justin said, rendering takes FOREVER with my computer too. I need to upgrade to a faster processor but haven't yet. We're wanting to go HD next year so I will need to make some serious upgrades before doing so.

I like both vegas and premiere. Vegas will do almost anything you need it to. Premiere has a few more options though. If you plan on going HD down the road, I would suggest Premiere since it allows HD editing. Vegas doesn't.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pinnacle Studio Version 11 is what I use for my video BIZ...It works great on my whitetail hunts too...download the patches...Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Editing software?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.