Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Varizoom Anyone?

Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Varizoom Anyone?

Hey Guys,

Do any of you use the Varizoom VZ-Pro-L controller with your hunting setup? I still get busted filming my own hunts because of movement to and from the camera to zoom, focus, ect. I think the Varizoom will put everything right at my fingertips and minimize my movement in the tree. I was just looking for some of your thoughts on this.

Mike
Old 10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Varizoom Anyone?

I use something very similar to a Varizoom. I use a Manfrotto 523pro remote handle on my cameras. To say that a remote control handle like a Varizoom makes it easier to film is an understatement!

I could not imagine ever going back to using the camera controls again. I have played with Varizoom handles on Canon cameras, and they work extremely well.

It is next to impossible to get TV quality footage while filming yourself, but you will get much better results with a Varizoom.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Big Co.,

I am filming for a new show that will be airing in the Shenandoah Valley here in VA. I am trying to get more hunters in the woods with cameras and my thoughts are that it is better to have 2 guys in trees filming/hunting themselves instead of one hunter and one camerman together. I think that this LANC device will give them another tool to self film and get more quality footage. Do you think it is better to get both guys hunting and filming or go in as teams?

Old 10-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Virginia Mike, if your goal is to get footage of animals WITHOUT a kill scene........split `em up and have two different cameras running.

But if you want to get a good kill scene on top of the animal footage, you really need to have one cameraman and one shooter. The Varizoom will make filming yourself easier without a doubt, but it is still going to involve more luck than any equipment you can buy to get good footage. I have filmed myself shooting several deer with a bow. A couple of those kills I am really happy with how they turned out. But even the best one I have is not even close to being good enough for a TV show.

Even with oversize LCD monitors and remote control handles, it is still extremely tough to get the deer to hold still long enough to position the camera and then draw, aim, and shoot. Not to mention that IF you get that far....the deer is immediately out of the cameras eye after the shot.

Another thing about capturing quality footage.......you are NOT hunting the way you learned to all of these years.

You are now videoing wildlife, and you just happen to have a buddy with a weapon along.

Now you have to set up in more open areas. Now you REALLY have to pay attention to where direct sunlight will be washing out the picture when the sun is coming up/ going down. Now you cannot make those neat little birdsnest treestand setups where you peak through the limbs to see your deer coming.

Now you gotta hunt where it is much more open because good footage means having more than 2-3 seconds of footage of that deer before the arrow zips through.

Filming hunts can be the most fun thing to do, but you have to be at a point in your hunting career where you have no remorse at letting a deer walk because the camera was not quite right.

Whatever you end up doing, remember two things......

1. Keep us updated on how things are going.......
2. Above all else, be SAFE, and remember to have FUN!!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Virginia Mike

Thanks Big Co.,

I am filming for a new show that will be airing in the Shenandoah Valley here in VA. I am trying to get more hunters in the woods with cameras and my thoughts are that it is better to have 2 guys in trees filming/hunting themselves instead of one hunter and one camerman together. I think that this LANC device will give them another tool to self film and get more quality footage. Do you think it is better to get both guys hunting and filming or go in as teams?
It's a must to have two people if you want good quality footage.That goes for deer,turkey,waterfowl or anyother game.It's hard enough to get it done with two people,one isvery hard to do.It can be done but at the expense of quality loss.Please don't be discouraged to film your own hunt just don't expectthe same results as a two man team.Won't happen.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Ky you are so right. It is really hard to frame a shot, pick up the bow and draw and shoot, and then hope the deer is still in the frame. I have had that problem 2 times already this season. I just don't have anyone else that has the time off that I have to hunt. I am going to hang in there and get it done.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a Varizoom Pro for about 6 years now but I have to agree with the other posts----we're shooting wildlife outdoor video and someone else is just along with a bow/gun! I've tried using motion control, clamps, tree stand tripods you name it but the most effective use of your camera is with an Operator-following the action, maintaining focus, iris, dof. I also think that 99% of most outdoor video shows put way too much emphasis on kill shots instead of the primary use/enjoyment/ training/attitude/love that should be shown for the outdoors and the wildlife itself.
In using my Varizoom controller I also bought the 100' Lanc extension for other uses too-----TOTAL remote operation of the camera with motion control, stop/start/focus/zoom,use of a jib while shooting interviews, scenery, camera movement.
[link]http://web.mac.com/patmiller6/iWeb/Site/HEY!.html[/link]
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a Blatant plug for someone else to give you some different ideas on shooting:
there's a group in Texas with a webpage called[link]http://www.TexasBowhunters.com[/link] that came out with a DVD titled:
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE VIDEO and it is primarily about video'ing your own hunts----the how to's, the pitfalls, the things to watch out for.
there's a complete link on the page to see what people say about it and how to order it and watch some of it---(promo clips).....
Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

wrong link. sorry![link]http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php[/link][]