Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-17-2002, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Michigan grouse hunting

I will be making a trip up that way for the second year in a row this year. We hunt right outside mayo on the public land. We stay in my uncles cabin which is on the asabo river.

LIFE IS SHORT, HUNT HARD
Old 09-21-2002, 03:56 PM

I'm going to Michigan next week for grouse, woodcock and squirrel. We hunt near Rose City, Rifle River Recreation area and Huron National Forest. We got a banded woodcock last year. We did very good on woodcock, limited out almost everyday, grouse is another story. We saw our limits but not the easiest to shoot. But we did kill 7. We also got sidetracked when hunting grouse. Ran into Mr.Porcupine, about 4 times. Doges got hammered but where ok. We hunt with Chesapeake Bay Retreivers, two of them. I recommend anyone to go there. Beautiful place, lots of game and fun. Talk to you later. Squirrel Master
Old 09-22-2002, 04:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I'm going to Michigan next week for grouse, woodcock and squirrel. We hunt near Rose City, Rifle River Recreation area and Huron National Forest. We got a banded woodcock last year. We did very good on woodcock, limited out almost everyday, grouse is another story. We saw our limits but not the easiest to shoot. But we did kill 7. We also got sidetracked when hunting grouse. Ran into Mr.Porcupine, about 4 times. Doges got hammered but where ok. We hunt with Chesapeake Bay Retreivers, two of them. I recommend anyone to go there. Beautiful place, lots of game and fun. Talk to you later. Squirrel Master
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 09-22-2002, 04:49 PM

I too am considering a trip to Michigan to hunt grouse. Any thoughts on an oufitter/camp.
Thanks

[/quote]
Old 09-22-2002, 06:01 PM

We don't thru an outfitter. We have a friend that lives up their and told us a few good places to hunt. We found other areas too as in Huron National Forest. We saw grouse running along side the road. We even go into so many grouse, we forgot to set the GPS and we were lost for about 1 hour in the forest, at sunset. We eventually found a recently used trail and followed it back. Anyways, I recommed going to the Huron Forest or Rifle River Recreation Area. This is supposed to be the UP year for grouse, some say this is true, some say it isn't. But I guess we will see. Anything else....let me know.....
Squirrel Master
Old 09-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-29-2002, 12:12 PM

Hi Fliesonly, I hunt northern lower whenever I can. Best place to start is around the town of Frederic. There's lots of public land. Dunno about bird numbers this year. Stay in touch. Maybe we can get together.

joe clark
Old 09-30-2002, 05:35 PM

Hey everybody,

We just got back from hunting Michigan's NLP and had a successful trip on woodcock, but grouse -- that's another story. My buddy squirrel master was able to bag 5 squirrel in a two hour hunt and we bagged 27 woodcock. As far as grouse, about 10 flushes total (all wild), with the exception of one which should have come home with us. In my opinion, the grouse numbers in that area are terrible this year -- much worse than last season.

Good luck to those who make the trip.

Edited by - uplandchessies on 09/30/2002 18:40:37
Old 10-10-2002, 01:47 PM

Hey fliesonly, have you gotten out for grouse yet?
Joe Clark

joe clark

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.