Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
So it begins, (Upland bird Hunting) >

So it begins, (Upland bird Hunting)

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

So it begins, (Upland bird Hunting)

Old 10-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So it begins, (Upland bird Hunting)

Bl did you get lost again? Its been a whole week since you posted and I need my fix on the bird hunting report. LOL I did see nine longbeards today if your still on for the fall turkey hunting . A couple of them were pretty good size . Halcon
Old 10-27-2002, 11:21 PM

I spent the week chasing elk. They outran me. I did get one more mountain quail on wend. a ruffed grouse on Thurs. and 2 more rooster Pheasants this morning. I would like to get my deer out the way. The geese have been flying real low lately. You need to try to get away for a morning shoot. I will be down after the long beards as soon as deer season is over.

Use a Big Lead to shoot them
were they aint.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:26 PM

Upland hunting has slowed down quite a bit. I got a few more quail last week, and managed to get a deer on Wend. I am now picking up a few ducks. I got 3 teal today. I hope to go chuckar hunting some time this month.

were they aint.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 PM

I managed to get an 8" bearded Tom this afternoon. It weighed about 16lbs. I got a couple more teal on Sunday. Today I guided a fellow on a damage control hunt and he got a deer. After I helped him take care of the deer I went out
turkey hunting and stalked up on a group of nice toms. I was all camoed out in my Mossy Oak. I stalked within 30 yds. of them and was able to identify one that seemed to have a decent beard. This was the only day I made it out and I was planning on going Upland hunting tommorow so I went ahead and took the Tom. It is a beautiful bird and has a nice tail fan on it. This was my first year to connect on Turkeys, and I was able to get three nice Toms. The first weighed 20lbs. and had a 8.5" beard. The second weighed 16lbs. and had 8 seperate beards with the longest being 9.5" and the shortest being 1".
The third weighed 16lbs. and had an 8" beard. The funny thing about my turkey hunts was I never managed to call any of these birds in. They were all taken by stalking them on my belly, and slinking through the brush like a Coyote. Well tommorow I am leaving to go Chuckar hunting.
I will let you all know how it goes. On a side note my Springer thinks she's a duck dog now. She has retrieved more waterfowl this year than my lab has. Good luck, and lets have some more people share there hunts here.

were they aint.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:54 AM

Big Lead, By all of your posts i figured that you were in the coast range or cascade foothills. I live north of you west of Portland. I hunt with a Vizsla, we will have to talk sometime I have a lot of good public spots that I don't mind sharing. Keep hunting.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum John L . I believe BigLead is over in eastern OR hunting chukars this week end so it might be a couple days before he gets back to your post .
Old 11-18-2002, 12:01 AM

Just got back from Eastern Oregon tonight. It was tough hunting to say the least. All the birds we had spotted on the opening day hunt had dissapeared. A month ago we had birds all over the area and this time we saw one group of extremely wild acting birds. I did get a couple of
valley quail and we also got a couple ducks, but the chuckar hunting was tough. We actually saw more birds on the way home than we did while we where hunting. We stopped to jump shoot a small pond and there was chuckars on the opposite side of it getting water. They took off when we started trying to close the distance. Later I was hunting for pheasants along the river and my lab started acting birdy. I followed her up a rocky canyon and saw the chuckars take off before we could reach them. All together we saw 5 hen Pheasants, about 50 chuckars and a couple dozen quail. I am going over on Thanksgiving weekend and will try a different spot next time.

were they aint.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:05 AM

I forgot to mention thanks for posting John L. I am down south of you a couple of hours near Cottage Grove. You can email me at [email protected] I will send a couple of pictures of my hunts and we can share some storys. Always good to hear from a fellow bird hunter.

were they aint.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

went quail hunting this past saturday afternoon. fianlly saw some quail but they flew off before we could get close. end of hunt.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 11-18-2002, 11:21 PM

Big Lead & others, I hunted central Oregon last weekend. We bagged 2 chukar & flushed 9 hens in the creek bottoms on Saturday. Sunday we drove to another ranch hunted the crp fields & flushed 7 roosters while taking 1 which decided to sit still instead of sneaking off first. Great weekend all in all.

Quick Reply: So it begins, (Upland bird Hunting)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.