Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New Shotgun

Old 08-05-2002, 02:02 PM

Default New Shotgun

I know what you're thinking...great, another guy asking advice on a new gun but doesn't know what he wants. Well, yes and no. If I knew exactly WHICH gun I wanted, I wouldn't be asking. =P

I'm in the market for a new 12 guage semi-auto to use in the field. I have competition guns, but I don't want to rough them up too bad. I'm looking to spend between $500-$800, and would like something somewhat nice as far as field guns go. 28-30in barrels (non ported), shoots both 2 3/4in & 3in shells.

Any ideas?

Thx

--Wing
Old 08-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Shotgun

Well if wasn't a semi-auto you were looking for, i'd say a wingmaster from remington. I know of a few good semi autos. I don't call the size but i know browning makes good autos. The new benelii is a good one but more then what you are looking for prize range. I saw a remington 1100 which is a good gun though.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 08-06-2002, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a browning gold hunter this weekend, it was chambered 3&quot; came with either 26&quot;, or 28&quot; barrel, very pretty stock and forearm for $699, at Acadamy sporting goods. It was a very nice gun, and with browning's $100 rebate a good price to. I have the same gun in 3 1/2&quot; with the shadowgrass camo finish, and I love my gun.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:22 AM
Spike

I'd take a close look at the field model Beretta 391. It is very light and reduces recoil about the best of any. In addition it is super reliable and will continue to shoot 1oz loads and up even when very dirty. This can be a real advantage in weedy pheasant fields and waterfowling. If it's clean it will shoot absolutely any load reliably even down to my 3/4oz and super low recoil 7/8oz handloads. It really cuts the recoil of heavy 2 3/4 and 3&quot; loads. Nice looking gun too.

Old 08-06-2002, 12:00 PM

There are a lot of people who brag about the Benelli also and I guess that is ok but during the spring snow goose season I had two different people come to hunt with me both had Benellis. I personally will not pay over a grand for a shotgun or any gun that is supposed to be self loading and all I ever saw them get is one shot off per flock. I always carry at least two guns when I go so if something ever does happen I just go to my truck and get another. Well the old 870 and BPS never missed a day without being used. Have a couple of Weatherby O/U that I like to use also.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Spike

I think i would look at the Beretta 391 i have heard quite a few good things about these guns and they are reasonbly priced...
Old 08-06-2002, 02:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-09-2002, 12:37 PM

I realize that you're talking about a gas-operated gun, but have you tried a pump? Your price range should be fine for a good field gun, but I have owned gas-operated and pump both and IMO the pump is more likely to take the dust, dirt, unburnt powder, etc... that will cause a semi to basically become a single shot. I wish that mine was lighter, but I don't have quail or pheasant around to hunt, so I don't have to carry it too far usually. Just my .02. Good luck

Edited by - GoTres on 08/09/2002 13:39:17
Old 08-09-2002, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I have an old model 37 (16 guage) and I love it, I don't like trying to find shells for it. However I am planning on buying a 12 guage, and thought a semi automatic would be nice.

I'm kinda torn between a model 11-87 supermag and a Benelli SBE. The main differences (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Remington is gas operated where the Benelli is spring operated. They both accept 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells. Benelli has a great reputation, where I know first hand that many men in my family (including my father) shoot 1100's and 11-87's.

So I guess I should just flip a coin? =P

Old 08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Spike

11-87's are nice guns but from what I've seen are not as reliable with any dirt or debris in them and they will not cycle nearly as light a load as the 391. Neither of those may bother you. When the 391 was new the owner of a local gunshop deliberately put 10,000 rounds through a 391 without cleaning it. There was not one malfunction. I have used mine in very cold weather. It does need to be kept a little cleaner under those conditions but if fairly clean, it does cycle reliably even in sub-freezing temps. The light load thing is important to me as I find that very light loads help build good shooting habits because no flinch is present. I then go to heavy loads in the field and the shooting habits transfer.

Edited by - drdan on 08/09/2002 18:16:53

Quick Reply: New Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.