Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Warning for South Dakota

Old 06-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Warning for South Dakota

At present things are very dry and with this they have opened the CRP land to grazing and haying. This Fall cover will be hard to find and the birds will be scattered. For Fall hunting check for water as this will be the main item for a good hunt.

curt nulle
Old 06-18-2002, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: Warning for South Dakota

Thanks for the heads up Curt.

Old 06-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Update 06-20-02 It is now being requested to open protected wetlands in the state of South Dakota to grazing. Worst dry spell since 70's.

curt nulle
Old 06-22-2002, 07:15 PM

That would really frost me if they did that and I know it has been done in the past. The reason it makes no sense is that since it is so dry the farmers down in my area are tasking advantage of the dry conditions to ditch and tile out any spot that might have a little moisture. Wish there was some way to see to it that those who are so quick to drain everything would have their subsidies shut off. Someday when there are no more waterfowl just remember that it was not the legitimate hunter that exterminated them, it was the backhoes etc.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think they are going to drain them, just letting the livesstock eat the grass in the areas.

Ya that would be a loss to drain them. I feel the same way with land owners that allow NO hunting and then want money and grain for deer depradation.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:15 PM

Yes, you are correct on that they would not drain the WPA or GPAs but if they graze them down as they did in the 70s there is no winter cover left. The draining that is going on in my area is on private land. These same farmers {one only two miles from my place} tiled out his fields about a month ago and is now crying about how dry it is and wondering if he will get a crop at all. I also agree with you on not allowing hunting and then demanding compensation for crop depredation.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Farmers in Brown County went and got permission to burn the lowland cover to plant crops in. Look for tons of dead pheasants this winter if they last that long.

curt nulle
Old 07-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Spike

Hey Nulle, any rain out of that last storm (7/5/02-7/6/02)?

Old 07-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't mind hunting the Dakotas one of these days. Keep in touch on this just in case i can actually make it out there this season.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Spotty = Mead county had a little, my place had quarter inch. and three miles into the town they had nothing. Not good at all and hay prices are hitting $ 110.00 a ton right now.

Quick Reply: Warning for South Dakota

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.