Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Warning for South Dakota

Old 07-10-2002, 02:19 PM

Default RE: Warning for South Dakota

It is true that SD is dry at the present time. However, although perhaps unintentionally, you are warding people off hunting in SD. We provided guided pheasant hunts and are haying some of our CRP. While haying some CRP and the dry conditions will greatly hurt some of the outfitters, we have plenty of dams to provide water and the little bit of haying we are doing will more than likely just move the pheasants our other CPR acres or tree groves.
Please don't be discouraging people to hunt here.
You are right however, in encouraging prospective hunters to ask the land owners about dams or means of water for the birds before they hunt there.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Well we have a game bird hatchery also and it is hurting us too but my information is on the wild population not the pay to hunt programs. My information is what I have heard from folks throughout the state = some areas are ok and others are no good at all. In the western part they are dumping water into the stock dams by truck because they are dry, your area must be better and if you have information on good areas of the state please post where.
I would hate to see hunters come and run into what we have and never come back.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

07-15-02 Did some checking and sounds like the Mitchel and Winner areas have gotten some rain and things are not as bad there. I will check out all points in the state in Sept. and post them.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:32 PM

A buddy and I plan on coming for the grouse opener and trying the FT. Pierre area. We will also hit SW Montana while there. I am from Kentucky and a bad trip out West, is usually better than an outstanding season here.
I am sorry to hear that the West (not just SD) is so dry.

Old 07-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

The Pierre area has gotton some rain in the last month or so. They had 3 inches and then another inch that I know about. Might not be that bad and parts of Montana are very good.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

August has brought rain to areas of South Dakota and has been very welcomed. Little strange as this is our dry hot month.

curt nulle
Old 08-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Spike

Have you heard anything about grouse in the Winner and Rosebud area this year?

Old 08-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Not yet but am getting hay for my horses out of the Winner area and will check. If what the hay is like is a indication it should be ok = good hay so most have had moisture there
Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Grouse numbers seem good in our area (far West) Report from the Martin SD area is that with lack of cover the preditors are taking their toll.

Quick Reply: Warning for South Dakota

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.