Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant,Quail, with a bow?

Old 10-18-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Pheasant,Quail, with a bow?

Hey guys

I have alot of good pheasant and quail hunting in my area. I am gonna be trying to hunt them with some traditional bows.

Anyother people hunt with bows and any pointers for my outing with my bow?

Need help never hunted game birds before
Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Pheasant,Quail, with a bow?

Saw it on TV once. My friends and I made a drinking game out of it. We took a gulp every time they missed. No pheasant were harmed during the filming of that show. We, on the other hand....
Old 10-22-2004, 01:06 PM

never heard of it but go for it!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:52 PM

Hey,

Fred bear and some other guys did it, i am gonna do it. Will bring my pit bull, or spanial to flush the game and then hopefully shoot them.

Should be a blast!!!!!!![8D]
Old 10-23-2004, 06:58 PM

i have shot quail with my bow i sit on the fence and whait when they come by i shoot em on the ground
Old 10-30-2004, 05:43 AM

wait a second here.... your going to shoot them after they fly? I can see if your a good shot and shoot over a pointer or over a feed pile or something like that... but shoot a flushing bird with a bow? your gonna lose or destroy alot of arrows!

Let us know how that works out?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:33 AM

In the book "Wingshooters Guide To Washington" is a paragraph about "pheasant on stick" where he discribes the taking of upland birds with a bow (in the air). He uses a snare type head on his arrows (no broad heads for safety of dogs etc). The head has a few wires that come out facing forwards that will wing a bird or kill it with a direct hit. When he misses he can usually retrieve the arrow. you can buy the book on Amazon.com
Old 10-30-2004, 05:20 PM

Hey guys

Thanks for all the replys.

Howard hill also has done it. I got those points, they are Snaro bird points, at 3 rivers. I also have the zwicky spring heads.

I plan on shooting them wherever, hopefully as they are rising. I wont be winging arrows into the skys at them, LOL.

I have read that hunting game birds with bows goes back , a long , long time. I kinda thought more bowhunters would be doing it?

I will bring my spanial at times to flush them, or the good old Basset to put them to sleep!! lol But im heading out for it come Nov 1,

Will let you know any interesting reports. All in all , it should be fun. Just think i got, game birds, stocked on the land, squirrels, crow, deer, rabbit.

Something has gotta come along.

I am in my full reporter mode on this subject.

God speed
Old 10-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Les, do you go for a double lung shot on quail like on deer and if so, how long do you wait before you start the tracking? Jim
Old 11-13-2004, 03:11 AM

yah hit the birds in the head if yah can i seen a few thursday while i was in my stand they wouldnt give me a shot i might have to get my shot gun out to get a few im going to try again sunday morning i need a few for dinner yah dont have to wait after you shoot quail just pull em off yer arrow