Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Montana Pheasant Hunting (pics) >

Montana Pheasant Hunting (pics)

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Montana Pheasant Hunting (pics)

Old 10-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana Pheasant Hunting (pics)

Opening day.

Nemont
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-12-2004, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Montana Pheasant Hunting (pics)

Nemont,

It looks like you had an awesome time. I am going out there to meet my father in law next week. He is in Bozeman. I can't wait. We are going after huns and sharptails but I hope to get a few ditch parots as well.

What general area were you guys hunting? I heard numbers were down from the winter kill, especially in the north east. Doesn't look like it affected your hunt though.

scottr
Old 10-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Scott-
Heard the same thing about NE Montana. The MFWP website says very spotty. Ranchers I've been talking to say the huns got hurt pretty bad. The pheasant populations were fed by the DNR in some spots. The birds as maybe you've seen or heard get up on the round bails to get out of the snow and that's where they were fed. Meeting a buddy out there tomorrow. He's been there since 10/01 and has had good success through persistence. The grass is definitely thicker this year compared to last due to some decent Spring rains in some spots, Roosters are young. Hasn't shot many huns but sharptails and pheasants are solid in his opinion. However other folks I know who are hunting south of him say it is horrible. Heard the same from folks west towards Lewiston and Billings. Heard that huns are in the FT Peck Reservation. I've never hunted that area. Opening weekend [for pheasant] temps were high in the Northeast and the hotels emptied out according to my buddy. The weather this weekend looks cooler with maybe some rain. I'll be there for a week and will check in next Thursday and post some photos.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 PM

Roost em

Its a big state but if you see two young guys and a older guy with Britney's say hi. We'll be in the Billings area as well as the Sheilds valley and driving a grey Tahoe or Yukon.

Good hunting

Scottr
Old 10-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

looks as if you all had a great hunt. we have about two weeks till the opener here