Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Vet question.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Vet question.

Took my 3 tear-old Chessie to the dove opener and a few hours into the hunt he went to the woods and stayed. Checked his feet and one had a laceration and one had ulcers. I figured that's why he gave up, although it was very uncharacteristic of him. Got home that evening and he vomited several times. The next afternoon -- no more vomiting-- he had bloody stool and was very lethargic. Rushed him to the vet. After a look over, they did X-rays of his stomach -- looking for obstructions-- and blood work up. X-rays were fine other than a little gas. The dog was given antibiotics by IV and his feet were wrapped. The dog was not dehydrated and drank water as normal. Did not eat unless carrots were given to him. Rule out heat-related because I know what to look for and my dogs are geared for it. And when I see them stressed, we stop hunting.

Blood work showed platelets at 30,000, low red blood cells and liver (2 of 4) and kidney counts low. I assumed poisoning until a buddy asked if a snake bit him. In KY we have rattlers -- which I doubt it could have been-- and copperheads (possibly). I'm now positive it was some kind of poisoning as dog is acting about normal. Seems what ever it was has run its course. Dog still wants to lay around -- which I'm sure has to do with his feet -- but is acting normal. Stool color back to normal also. What's your thought?

Old 09-04-2004, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Vet question.

someone ay work had the same thing happen but not the blood vet said it was someing the dog drank in the water
Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 AM

Sounds like Clasic case of heat exaustion. Way to hot to be working dogs out of water this time of year. Many Dogs have been KILLED this way.
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...F-00D0B74D6C6A
Old 09-05-2004, 12:13 PM

Bambikiller,

The vet did say it could have been something he drank.

Ed,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I disagree with you and so did my vet. Not only do I start working my dogs the second week in June -- in preparation for the impending seasons -- but I know the signs of heat stress. If it's too hot, we don't hunt, hunts are cut short if it gets too hot and I always have plenty of water on hand. I think it made it to 81 degrees Wednesday and the dogs ailments were about two-hours into the hunt. Temp may have been upper 70s at that time. Appears everything points to some kind of poisoning. Like I said, I'm always aware of the dogs well-being under such circumstances and even more so with what happened in SD last year. I do thank everyone for their imput.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen several dogs (and had several head of cattle) that have been bitten by rattlesnakes. The cattle are big enough that it just makes them sick for a while, but a big knot will form and drain for several days. Dogs aren't always so lucky. If they take a hit on the head, they will usually get sick and swell, but will live over it. If they get bitten on the foot, they don't live very long. Snakebites are usually indicated by some massive swelling and a large area of tissue around the bite would rot off.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Dear Uplandchessies; Interesting question. How is your dog doing? The low platelet, RBC counts would put infectious or immune mediated disease at top of list. GI bleeding most likely due to low platelets. What ATB were used? Have blood tests been repeated? Is dog improving? Were serum chemistry values for kidneys and liver abnormal? Can't tell from your post.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:58 AM

Sage is back to normal and we hunted Kentucky's early duck season Saturday and Sunday. Original test revealed his kidney counts were low, two of the liver counts were normal, two were off the chart. Stool is normal, his feet are healed and he's eating and drinking as usual. I'm assuming it was some kind of poisoning, because of the relatively quick recovery.