Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best O/U under $1000

Old 06-29-2004, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Best O/U under $1000

uplandchessie
I priced 2 barrel set at 1400$. 2000$ thats alot.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:56 PM

Ed,

That's probably right, but I was looking at the Alcione and wanted to add the additional side-plates. The side-plates are $125 each (I wanted the woodcock and pheasant) which brought the price to around the $2,000 mark. IMHO it's well worth it -- I just couldn't see spending that amount when I already had a 12 ga.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Spike

I agree with most folks that you should stick with the established brands. I have a Beretta Silver Snipe that I bought for $500 at a gun show. Besdt grouse gun i've ever used. Stay away from Stoeger ...very heavy and not reliable.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:15 PM

Come'on now guyz... your comparing $2000 browning/franchi/benelli o/u's with $300 stoeger. Obviously you will get what you pay for. But, for $300.00, give or take $50, you can't beat the price for a Stoeger Condor o/u. Ya, there 6oz heavier than a nice browning, and ya, they don't have the nice interchangeable side plates that a good franchi has, but common, it's like 1/10 of the price. And like someone else said, it's made from a sister company of benelli and franchi. There solid guns for budget hunters.

Anywayz, for under a grand, these guyz are probably right... get a nice used o/u... if you want new, get a stoeger. You can't beat the price.

-Ajax
Old 07-02-2004, 10:58 PM

first time i have ever herd that a stoeger is heavy and unreliable. for some of us, who cant afford an expensive gun, i think stoeger is the way to go. the new condor supreme, is just a great looking gun. it has a American walnut finish that is almost as good as the brownings, and beretta's. it has a gold trigger, selectice triggering, and auto ejectors. what else can you ask for in an affordible O/U. you can also find many used quality guns such as franchi,beretta,browning, that have barely been fired, and still in great condition for a usualy very reasonalbe price, but if you are going new, i would take a second look at stoeger. if you can fork up a few houndred bucks more, i know the Galyans store by my house priced a Franchi alcione titanium for me at $1250, and thats a nice looking gun! great thing is that it weighs at around 5lbs, which makes it super light. personally i couldn't see myself taking a gun like that in the fields. i could be to worried i could scratch it, or drop it. its also a bit fancy, so to me it seems as if i were going to be taking jewelery on the field, and that not what i want in an O/U. but thats why everyone has differnt taste's, and we all admire our own type of guns. good luck in your descision
Old 07-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The EAA O/U are not the best looking but I have used a 20 gau for a few years now and I love it Stevens (Savage) is also inporting it .
Old 07-14-2004, 07:11 PM

I'm going to jump on the Stoeger bandwagon. I was looking to purchase a decent O/U a few years back and just happenned to win a Stoeger at a Pheasants Forever banquet. The action isn't as smooth as some more expensive shotguns, but I shoot well with it, it's been very reliable and I can hunt hard without worrying about scratching a nicer gun. It's now my "go to" upland gun.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I was in the same boat a couple years back and had $1000 to spend on an O/U. My pheasant hunting buddy said wait and save about $250 to $300 more and then buy a new Beretta 686 Onyx or a used Browning/ Beretta higher end model. I'm glad I took that advice. I found a used Beretta Silver Pigeon in mint condition for $1275. My dad bought a new Beretta 686 Onyx for $1200 and has never shot better both trap and field.

I'm not going to bash the other brands because I don't know enough about them. I'm only telling you what worked out for me.

Be patient !!! It is worth it to do it right !!!

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 07-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm told the Stoeger Conder Supreme is a good gun. It weighs 7.4pds and has a 26-28in barrel.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm of the mindset that you are better off buying something of quality once, than to buy something lesser, twice. If you don't know how much hunting you will be doing, then buy a good auto or pump. If you really get the hunting bug, then sell the quality auto or pump and buy a quality O/U. Used is a good way to go, but take someone with you that knows guns. If you buy from a gunshop, ask them if there is a warranty? I have seen some really nice Browning O/U's with a few scratches at some very reasonable prices. I bought my Citori Lightning 12 for right at $1000 about 8 years ago. Since then, it's been used hard as a hunting gun and it shows. But it is still a great shooting gun. It's everything I wanted in a shotgun. 26" barrels, back bored with 3" chambers. Nice walnut stock with a prince of whales grip and round forend. It balances nicely. I shoot both pheasants and waterfowl with it. I have used it for turkey also. I have a big, heavy, cumbersome BPS 3 1/2" stalker that I bought for hunting waterfowl and turkeys with, but can't seem to leave my Citori sit in the gun safe. My BPS stalker looks brand new yet. I may trade it off on a nice Citori 20 gage yet. No, I don't make a lot of money. I just know what I want and wait until I can get it. My advice, if you want an O/U, then buy one. Just buy one that you will be happy with. Don't settle just to get any old O/U now. Years from now, you won't regret buying quality.

Quick Reply: Best O/U under $1000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.