Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Shotgun Opinion...

Old 02-19-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Shotgun Opinion...

I'm in the market for a 20 guage over/under shotgun. I've looked into a few different models and camo accross a gun shop that stocks EAA (European American Arms), they have a 20 guage,o/u, 26" barrel with screw in choke system. It retails for less then $500. Anyone have any experiance with these guns? I think the model is IZH-27. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Bryan
Old 02-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun Opinion...

just remember you get what you pay for I looked at one of these in 12 ga and when i went to open the action it was so stiff i had to open it with considerable force. the guy at the counter said try this he handed me a ruger and it just fell open when i pushed the lever over nice and smooth now i imagine the other would loosen with time and the price is right but remember theres a difference in quality and it usually costs more
Old 02-21-2002, 07:53 AM

I guess it depends on what you want it for. I bought an inexpensive Stoeger SxS in 16 gauge with 26" barrels and IC & Mod choke. The checkering was pressed, not cut, and the wood to metal fit wasn't the greatest. However, I bought this gun to HUNT with, not look pretty, and I take it through some nasty grouse cover, so it gets full of scratches and dings each season. But it kills birds just as well as a $1000+ SxS, so I'm not complaining.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:29 AM

I hunt with a Ruger Red Lable 28 gauge o/u
26" barrels screw in chokes, Awesome gun.
I use skeet/ skeet with 71/2 for everything from pheasant to woodcock through heavy bush
and it holds up great. It would a great choice.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:46 PM

12ga. pump
Old 02-28-2002, 10:45 AM

I personally purchased a used Berreta Silver Pigeon and love it, but it cost me. My suggestion is to look at used o/u that have a well known product name attached to it (Berreta, Browning Citori, Ruger red label etc). I have found used o/u that are in nice condition for as little as $500.00. Now if you want to buy new, I would suggest the Beretta White Wing. It retails from $950-1000 and doesn't skimp on quality, balance or looks. The American Hunter magazine of the NRA had an excellent review of the White Wing in it's last issue. I'm not pushing Berreta, but I was in your shoes last year at this time and felt the most comfortable shooting the Berreta. Browning and Ruger, among other well known manufactures are great if it fits your shooting comfort level. I won't bash the EAA o/u as I don't know much about it. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:57 PM

Hoss made a good point when he said, "You get what you pay for", and Mr.16 gauge was correct to when he mentioned that it depends on its use.

Field guns get scrached going through brush, and take a beating from the elements. Though you may dry it off very well after coming in from teal hunting in the rain or pheasant hunting in the snow, you can't expect to get ALL of the water off. A field gun WILL take a beating, therefore you shouldn't plan on spending a large sum for one. Another thing I should mention is if you are buying a field gun, I suggest NOT buying one with ported barrels. The holes tend to get debris in them from walking through high grass and dense brush. Just my two cents...
Old 03-02-2002, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

good point wingshooter and welcome to the board you'll enjoy it
Old 03-02-2002, 10:51 PM

I just thought I would let you guys know what I bought. I found a great deal on a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge/28" barrel. I figured the 20 gauge would suit the girlfriend better.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:42 AM

Good choice! My first O/U was a Ruger Red Label 12ga. I ended up giving the gun to my dad b/c he was having trouble with his pump. I bought a Beretta O/U and payed a bit more than what I paid for the Red Label but, given the choice again, I would have bought another Red Label. They come up fast, break open easily and with Ruger your gettin a reputable gun at a resonable price.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Opinion...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.