Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Raising game birds?

Old 02-14-2002, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Raising game birds?

Have been contemplating raising afew for release and possibly dog training have contacted state dnr for info & regs anyone do this any info or comments welcomed
most likely pheasants but quail have some intrest for me to as we don't have many around here is one harder to raise than the other and what kind of space req. are needed

Edited by - HOSS on 02/14/2002 17:19:37
Old 02-15-2002, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Raising game birds?

I used to raised 8K pheasants yearly. There is a lot of effort that goes into raising this many. But since you're raising a small amount, it won't be as hard. Pheasants are easier to raise than quail because quail are supposed to be raised on wire while they are young, and since they're smaller they require more attention. IMO...If you're only wanting a few dozen birds, I'd recommend just buying them from a farm. You probably save money and a lot of time, without a lot of hassle. Plus they'd most likely be a lot wilder if you want to stock them. But if you have any questions about raising pheasant let me know.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 02-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Quail are easy and take no room. But figure on 30 birds per hundred eggs when starting. Pheasant are easier but won't stay around here. Quail have a range of about 1\2 mile while the pheasnt seem to leave the area. It is very easy to propogate quail here. Mail me and can give some links. If everybody turned loose as many quail as they shot, they would be very abundant. As for the DNR you are supposed to get a $10 permit unless you want to sell them then it is $20.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

We raise pheasant, quail and chuckar. Got allot of room the pheasant works well for limited space get the other two. For what you are going to use them for I would not worry about the wire thing. A few birds will do just fine on the ground. Main thing with all them is keep things clean.

curt nulle
Old 03-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Bud LIght I got the info from the dnr they also say you're suposed to get permission from them before you release birds quail aren't very plentiful here it would be a nice change of pace i have some friends with the type of edge cover quail seem to like i think it would be interesting to see how they did
Old 03-07-2002, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

I too wouldlove to raise some quail and pheasants but I seems it costs alot of money to raise these birds. Cuase don't you need like a special netting for the pen....

"Trophies are not measured in Inches!"
Old 03-09-2002, 01:46 AM
Spike

Hoss,
I raise both Pheasant and Quail. I love it the only thing I need now is more space! It is hard to do though. They need a high protein food base and need pleanty of room to run and use there wings. They aslo need anti-biotics regulary. I would advise aqnyone to try and raise them. I also use them for my lab Remington. I train all year long with him as well as sell eggs and birds.

Though I be wounded,
I am not slain,
I'll lay me down to bleed awhile
and then I'll rise and fight again!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hoss, also try to get them up to 14 or 15 weeks old in July or Aug before releasing them. It will improve their chances of survival. You will be amazed at the difference that only 40-50 birds makes. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Release them at 8 to 10 weeks and start with mixed grain before you release