Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 I am having to give up my... >

I am having to give up my...

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I am having to give up my...

Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Default I am having to give up my...

I dont want to but i am goin to give up my 16 guage for a new mossberg 835. Hopefully it will be the ulti mag can anyone tell me about the ulty mag?????
Old 03-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I am having to give up my...

I know you can shoot bigger shells (up to 3'') and maybe slugs if the barrel allows. That is all i know but there are plently of other shooters on here that can tell you more.

I don't blame you for giving up the 16g because around here its really hard to find shells anymore.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:41 AM

Actually, I believe the Ultimag shoots up to a 3-1/2" shell if memory serves me correct. At least the 10 ga. does. I have had 2 friends own one and neither has liked it though. You are not supposed to shoot slugs through the standard barrels (one friend actually didn't see the warning on the barrel and blew out the side of his with a slug too[X(]) and they tend to make a lot of racket once they loosen up. I could locate one of my buddies in the woods just by listening for his gun!

I have owned a couple Mossberg 500's over the years and love them for beater guns, but I don't think I would spend the money on an 835 after seeing and hearing what I have from friends who have.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 PM

The 835 ulti mag can shoot 2 3/4" 3" and 3 1/2" shells. I dont know what is wrong with the guns that birdidogs friends have but I can honstly say that I have put a few thousand rounds through mine. Everything from trap loads to the big 3 1/2"mag's. I have taken it apart and put it apart a few times and it is still as tight and smooth as it was when I bought it. Through hunting it has seen its fair share of hard falls and then some.

As far as price to go I find them to be a real good price. Around here a new one goes for about $175.

All and all I would not trade mine for any other pump gun out there. After shooting many (including the very popular bennelli nova) pumps I like the relibalty and shear ruggedness of it. If you seen the scratches and dings it has you will know what I am talking about.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 AM

I bought an 835 from my brother (he was moving), and have had no problems with it.

Like was said before the barrel is overbored to allow for the extra shot load from 3-1/2" shells, so slugs tend to tumble a little inside the barrel and will cause a problem if they do it at the wrong time.

A new slug barrel costs around the $200 mark (if I remember right).

It is not the prettiest gun, but I also don't fret much about scratching it.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]