Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Right or wrong?

Old 01-10-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Right or wrong?

Just a trivia question. If you had some property with afew grouse that you never really hunted and you had a 10 year old daughter who loved shooting but had not yet taken and passed her firearm safety course in order to get her hunting license would you let her shoot,(under your close supervision), her first grouse even though it would officially be Illegal? Just a hypothetical question ofcourse.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Default RE: Right or wrong?

I would let her shoot away. My Dad let me deer hunt two years on our property before I finally got to take my test. Although I didnt get anything I gained a lot of experience I otherwise would be gaining now.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Since we are speaking hypothetically. Would you want to teach her that it is ok to harvest an animal out of season with out a license as long as there was no one there to get her in trouble?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:52 AM

i was duck hunting 2 years before i took hunter saftey and i was shooting sqruirrels and rabbits and birds well before i had taken the test
my little brother is 10 and he shoots ducks, pheasants, ect
Old 01-10-2004, 04:33 PM

Well IMO you shouldn't. This is teaching them that the game laws aren't that important-it says that to me at least. I wasn't even able to go out with my dad on opening morning for big game until I had my hunter safety.

I can see a difference with small game animals-not upland or waterfowl. I make this conclusion that in farm/ranch country they are depriving the farmers/ranchers livestock of the food that the farmer pays for. Also they create holes in which the animals break their legs. but it is a gray-area...
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 PM

If her interest is uch that she is willing to shoot a grouse illegally, it is probably sufficient to last her through the year until she can take the proper classes. Game laws are very much a reflection of traditional hunting ethics and an outdoorsman's code of honor. Trading that away removes all of what makes hunting a noble pursuit.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

wrooooooong don't ever teach the young'un the improper ways of poaching or law breaking in any means pleeeezzz. my 8 yr old wants to hunt bad but he will watch and learn from me till the proper time comes ... "HUNT ON" .. with in the laws ...

Old 01-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

i'm not sure about washington states laws, but here in kansas you can hunt on your own private property without a hunter safety card and without a license regardless of age. you do have to abide by seasons, limits, shooting hours, big game tags, etc.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:33 PM

I'm sry if any of you miss understood me but the way i understand the laws in MN is that you can let a kid shoot grouse without his/her hunter saftey card( please correct me if i'm wrong) in our hunting regulations it says you don't have to have a hunter saftey card to hunt if you are under 11 but you can't hunt big game turkey ect and you have to be acompanied by an adult
Sorry if you missunderstood
Old 01-15-2004, 08:47 PM

i might be wrong (somebody correct me if i am) but i think that on your own property this would be legal in illinois as well. i see no problem with it. my dad took my brother and me rabbit and squirrel hunting with him brfore we had all our "legalities". most of the time he did the shooting, but once in a great while, when the situation was right, we got to shoot. alwaya under close supervision and safety was the first thing we discussed. we both grew up knowing that we had to pass hunter safety, buy a license, etc, to hunt, and we did, every year.

Quick Reply: Right or wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.