Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Taste of birds

Old 11-18-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Taste of birds

I' m told by a friend that Pheasant have a real gamey taste to them and that I need to soak the bird in salt water to remove the gamey taste. Is this True??? What can be done to better the flavor of Pheasant as well as any game bird????
Old 11-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Spike

Default RE: Taste of birds

I don' t think they' re very gamey at all. You can always try the Cream of Mushroom soup trick. The recipe is usually on the side of the can (sub the chicken with pheasant) and just serve it over rice. MMM Good!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

pheasant is NOT " gamey" there is nothing that can better the taste of pheasant...it is perfect as is
Old 11-19-2003, 04:30 PM

Gamey is sage grouse. Gamey is trophy mule deer. Gamey is NOT pheasant.

It is probably the least gamey of any huntable species! Delicious- don' t mess it up.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take my Pheasant and just grill the breasts with a little olive oil. There is no gamey flavor. Use just like chicken breast.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:28 PM

i think your friends full of crap, pheasant doesnt have any different taste than chicken.blackliner, rabbits dont have that gamey of a taste either, but then again i dont think awhole lot does, except some antelope.

Old 11-20-2003, 12:11 AM

I guess I haven' t really considred it, but you are right, rabbits generally aren' t very gamey. good point! I' d still rather eat pheasant.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

skin it and fry it in the old number nine iron skillet mmmmmm good no gamey taste i can remember.. whose your friend??

Old 11-26-2003, 12:36 AM

Your my friend Brush Buster. Though you are not the one who told me pheasant had a gamey taste. Well I guess I need to shoot me some ring-necks and see for myself. Thanks for replying all. Although Young Gun I don' t think my friend is full of crap just perhaps misinformed. Perhaps someone gave him an older bird. I dunno. What I do know the bird was givin to him he did not shoot it himself. I hope I get a chance to shoot at some pheasant this year
Old 11-26-2003, 12:30 PM

I think it is important to bring up that some pheasants can taste gamey, if you are new to bird hunting you can do yourself a huge favor and not keep your bird in your vest for an all day hunt. The quicker you can clean your bird the better it is going to taste. By stopping back at the truck every once in awhile and cleaning your kill you' ll be much happier with your birds.

Quick Reply: Taste of birds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.