Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Easy Pheasant Hunt

Old 10-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Spike

Sounds like you had a fun day, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:52 PM
Spike

Released birds are not wild. No comparison. It's still a 'canned hunt' in my books. Doesn't matter if they are planted minutes before or days later.
However, it is as good as it can get to train dogs whether a pointing breed or a flushing breed.
I've planted thousands of birds. Spent hundreds of hours training mine and other peoples dogs and judged versatile pointing dogs for 20+ yrs.
Nothing compares to wild.

I joined a Gun Club 20 years ago

Mostly as I wanted a decent place to hunt waterfowl and upland birds
Not greatest for either one ,but it is only 10 miles from my house

Well the club has 400 acers of upland fields where we release Quail , Chucker and Pheasants for hunts

These are pen raised birds
But they do fly well and taste good

Well fast forward to now
I had a nasty fall at work and now I am disabled
So I hunt as much as possible between Migraines and other headaches

I went out to the clubs marsh this morning to do some Canada Goose hunting

About 10 AM I decided to change and do some pheasant hunting
As there was a release & hunt last Saturday and I had been hearing some pheasants in a field close to the area I was goose hunting

I put the geese in my truck and put on a orange vest
Old 11-10-2023, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

For arwanatoto, is your disability permanent? Any luck with physical therapy? I tore an ankle in 2022 and am still rehabing everything.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I've never been a member of any hunt club and at least to me planting birds to be shot within a few days is something I personally wouldn't want to do. I've shot a lot of upland birds but all were wild birds in a natural setting. My own opinion it's canned hunting.
Without a doubt. I have more pheasant hunting experience then anyone on this forum, guaranteed. Grew up hunting Nebraska , as soon as I could walk I was with my family hunting birds. There is NO comparison to a wild ringneck to ANY pen raised bird. As for bird dog training. It would be a last resort. Perhaps for pups just getting started. I always remember, an article written in one of the major hunting magazines a lot of years ago...author was adamant to buy a bird dog pup, where birds are found...best advice I have ever heard....carry on boys...