Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Shot my first grouse!

Old 09-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Around these parts we have ruffed grouse, a few spruce grouse in the north east part of the state and woodcock for upland birds. We locals call the ruffies ....partridge...or pa-tridge if you really get out in the sticks. LOL. They are a hard bird to kill because of the explosive takeoff. Got to get on them and shoot real fast before they get out of sight. One thing that is really cool when you get lucky to see it is when they are burrowed under the snow and all of a sudden blast out. I never saw it when hunting them but have seen it during our late season ML deer season. One of the best things about them is when they drum. Sounds like an old 1 cylinder engine starting.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

No kidding! must have gotten a new natural history book. Do you really thing people would be talking about hunting a species they do know what they are?
Old 10-29-2023, 08:54 AM
Spike

Congrats you will always remember your first even after a lifetime of hunting.