Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire >

Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Spike

Default Injuries from Crossing Barbed Wire

Hey Everyone,

I moved to Montana a few years ago and finally gained access to some hunting property on a ranch. To get to my hunting spots, I have to cross barbed wire about 3 times. This is a new activity for me and I am clearly not good at it. I cut my hand pretty good my second time out and even snagged my clothes a few times. Going over the top seems too dangerous for my privates and going in between causes snags on clothing. Going under feels safest but I have to get on my stomach, which will be harder when snow is on the ground or if there is debris. Do you guys have any tips for how to safely cross fences? Also, I am curious as to how many of you have ruined clothing or acquired injuries while crossing barbed wire fences. I imagine this is a problem for a lot of bird hunters, or anyone hunting on farms. I'm usually hunting alone so I don't have a buddy to help spread out the barbed wire for me to sneak between. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Alex G.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Research T post steppers. There is a pocketable portable step designed to hang on metal T post to cross using Tpost fence posts. Doesn't
Harm the wire.
Wear leather gloves
Carry a towel or something to put over the wire to cross.
Or hunt with a partner.

Or ask the land owners and put in a wire gate.
Wire attached to a post held in place against another anchored post by a bottom loop of wire and then a top loop.
You can easily stretch 3 strands and make a temporary gate quickly.
Easy to do. But get permission.

Jw

Last edited by JW; 09-19-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Spike

Yeah. T Steppers are very reliable. I always use them.