Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

NE Bird hunt 2018

Old 08-20-2018, 02:47 AM
Spike

Default NE Bird hunt 2018

Im planning a trip up to NE in late Nov to try and get in some wingshooting. Ive got family in Omaha so NE is my target state. Ive got 2 Britt spaniels that have pheasant fever but have never hunted wild birds. Any of you have any recent experience in the state? Going to dropin with family for a night then take off across the state hoping to kill a few ringnecks and try for a bonus grouse or quail along the way. Any help or guidance is appreciated!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Wild bird pheasant hunting around Omaha and Lincoln is pretty tough . If you have the time, and sounds like you do, I would head west to Grand Island, then south to Hastings, follow highway 6 out to McCook area, then head north to North Platte , perhaps hit the sandhills, there is usually a few pockets of pheasants, work your way up to Valentine area. If you go after rifle deer season has closed, you will be surprised what a friendly hello and handshake will do.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 PM
Spike

@mthusker yeah I only plan on being on the eastern end of the state for a day. Then heading west looking for birds. Had my eye on the Cresent Lake Refuge north of Oshkosh and the smaller walk in areas south of there.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Spike

Hardly any birds left on this side of the state...