Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Lousy heat!

Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lousy heat!

I took my young setter out to hunt today, 1st hunt of the season due to it being so hot. My brother and I put out a dozen hard flying quail at our club and put our dogs down, my setter and his Brittany. First it started to lightly rain as we were on our way to the club. Wet quail do not fly well if at all so we put them out in some of the cut areas of our crep fields. My pup did well for her first outing and my brothers dog is starting to be at the top of his game. Only 3 quail wandered into the tall wet grass and were caught by my brother's dog, the rest flew like rockets. I was soaked with sweat and all I was wearing was a hunting vest and long sleeved shirt, pants of course. I was actually glad when the hunt was over because it was just too hot to hunt and the rain just made it worse. We killed some quail and the dogs got a workout but I am really ready for some cold weather. I took 5 ticks off my dog, and one off me and my brother took a bunch off his dog and himself as well. Until we get several days of frosty mornings the tick will be a problem.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Spike

Ha! It's worse In Az, in Tucson the low is 46, in flagstaff low is 15
Old 11-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Typical Buck

Talk about heat, i am deer hunting tomorrow, heading to the ranch after work. Tomorrows high is 88 and the low is 70. Just sux. Im not looking for freezing temps but 88 is just not fun