Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Quail Hunting seems rigged.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Banned

kind of the opposite here. when the ringnecks were plentifull the quail were not. now the ringnecks are mostly gone and the quail are booming.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

I've only seen a few in 10 years around here
Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by grinder67
Wild quail (Bobwhite) are almost none existent here in northern IN. How are they doing in other parts of the country?
Im in SC and in the last 4 years my wild quail have exploded. I started shooting every single ***** cat i saw on my farm and that seemed to do the trick. Also planted pines with broom grass along with the left over scrap from some clearings done 5 years ago provides more than enough cover. Also we seem to have literally tens of thousands of grasshoppers and my dad said quail love to eat them. In the spring I have called them out of the soybeans and have been laying on my bed and seen them running around my yard.

The thing is other than shooting ***** cats I havent invested a single dime into Quail management. My dad wants to eventually get some of those special predator proof houses but I think they are doing just fine. Last year I heard a thud and my dog started barking. Went outside to investigate and was shocked to see a stunned, very plump juicy bobwhite looking around. I went to try and pick him up but he flew off like nothing hapened.

Last year I sas going to work one morning and saw a male freaking out in the road running back and forth. I got out and when i walked towards him he ran into the edge of the pines but i saw 4 little chicks. They looked like a cartoon and i couldnt help but start laughing. They had huge heads compared to the rest of their body and they were so top heavy they would fall over and they couldnt make it through the grass. A hawk screeched a took up watch in a nearby pecan tree so I picked up the fuzzy little quail chicks and put them in the pines in some broom grass. Just didnt want a hawk getting an easy meal.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 03-17-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've only seen a few in 10 years around here
When I do see one I usually assume it was somebody's training bird.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need birds to train bird dogs & are also instructional and exciting when training young hunters.