Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant Boom!

Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Spike

Glad to hear of good numbers there, us here in Central Illinois have almost seen the extinction of the bird here due to lack of CRP and farm fields getting expanded to their limits and almost all hedgerows and waterways being totally eliminated. Hunters used to flock to our area to hunt birds in great numbers but the loss of the nesting areas and several bad winters followed by poor spring conditions put us in a downward spiral that we may never recover from. I know in most areas birds can roost and frequent stubble but do not know of them being good nesting areas unless they are not tilled until nesting is done. Our plight is the fact that the demand for corn and beans has pushed the need for plantable acerage so high the phesant is just squezed out of the mix due to the higher demand for grains of all kinds. Most guys arround here have quit hunting birds totally and gone to deer. It is not like it was 20 or even 15 years ago, a great article to read is Silent Fields in October Field and Stream by Phil Bourjaily he pretty much nails the whole situation accross the midwest. I for one am really envious of the numbers in the far plains and Dakotas for sure am planning on visiting them soon. But just keep mindful of the dwindiling CRP areas. Good luck on your hunting and hope for great spring hatches and all will work out.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Spike

Taking land out of the CRP is NOT The answer. I repeat: TAKING LAND OUT OF THE CRP IS NOT THE ANSWER!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Spike

Enjoy it while it lasts; reducing CRP will immediately bring good hunting, followed by a decline, if history repeats itself.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was a kid back in the 50s living down near Indianapolis my Dad always took a few days over into east-central Illinois to pheasant hunt and it was really something back then. Then with the changes talked about the birds started going down hill and now it's just like up here where you hardly ever see one. I've been going out to ND for the last ten years or so and the birds are doing fantastic out there with all the cover they have near the farm fields of wheat.