Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Can you buy pheasants for your land? >

Can you buy pheasants for your land?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Can you buy pheasants for your land?

Old 09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you buy pheasants for your land?

Maybe this is a common question on this board, and if so - I apologize.

If possible - I' d like to look into purchasing full grown or nearly grown birds (not chicks to be reaised) - pheasants and/or quail. We don' t live on the property - its about 40 minutes away and I get up there about 1 time per week on average outside hunting season. We have about 20-25 acres of tillable land - and put food plots in for deer (including corn) and have thought it would be great to have pheasants to hunt, or maybe quail.

We average 125-150" of snow per year. Still, my father said in the 1950s when they were farming the land, they had pheasants all over.

How do I find out who to cantact, and what price ranges do you think we are talking about per bird?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Can you buy pheasants for your land?

You can contact your state DNR for a list of game farms that sell game birds. If that is not workable try James Ainslie in Richfield Springs 13439 ph 315-858-0566.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:12 AM

my uncle used to sell pheasant along time ago, but now he just rides harleys, he says though that the not wild bird take some time to get up right away when pressured, last year i walked right up to one and all it did was run, never flew, so i would say stay with the wild birds, but if u can get any wild on ur place, then go ahead and buy them, who_else
Old 09-30-2003, 03:23 PM

If you are going to keep the birds in a cage and then set a few in the field everytime you want to shoot a few, then you can just hold their feet and spin them around...they will get dizzy and fly away when you get close. But if you just let them in a field and hunt them naturally they may not fly because they know where to run to.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Spike

I know that 4H clubs raises birds to be released, but I' m not sure what the stipulations are regarding where they are released.... There used to be a small animal auction in Vernon that gets pheasants once in a while..that isn' t too far from Caz is it? The only problem with that is they only come in a few at a time.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t expect to release pen rasied birds to rebuild the local population, they won' t make it through one full year because they don' t have the ability to live that long, if there are any birds of prey or any predators such as coyote and bobcat. The pen rasied birds don' t know how to survive in the wild for very long. They may make it a few weeks, but that' s about it.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Spike

farm hunter,

here is a link to game breeders in NYS. http://www.shotgunsports.com/breeders/bnewyork.htm.

I have no idea on the price of the birds that they are selling. I would expect that if you were to buy in quantity the price would be cheaper. Since hen Chinese Ring-neck Pheasants are off limits on hunting upstate, NY. I would not recommend purchasing any. If you have good cover, standing food plots for the birds and the predator is low in your area, I see no reason they would not survive. If any birds that make it over the fall and into the spring and you either see or here them, then I would get some hens to release and see if propagation would establish.

The only thing I an not sure on, is the regulations set forth by the DEC regarding license. I know it is against the law in NYS to harbor wild game birds with out the proper permits. If you can find a game farm from the list I had provide for you in the link, they may further help you out regarding the legalities of release on private land owned by you.

Steve/X-LINY
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Old 10-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Spike

X-LINY, If he wants them to hunt for just that season then yes, he shouldn' t buy any hens, but I think he wants to start a population on his property, so hens would definitely be a good idea. Depending on where his land is, he may or may not be able to hunt hens as well.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Spike

HidinFromFeds,

farm hunter stated
If possible - I' d like to look into purchasing full grown or nearly grown birds (not chicks to be reaised) - pheasants and/or quail. We don' t live on the property - its about 40 minutes away and I get up there about 1 time per week on average outside hunting season. We have about 20-25 acres of tillable land - and put food plots in for deer (including corn) and have thought it would be great to have pheasants to hunt, or maybe quail.

According to his Post date:Date: 9/26/2003 9:16:16 PM I would not think he is looking to propagate at this time.

Thats why I stated cock birds for the hunting season. If any cock birds did survive the fall and winter and predatation, and if he had see or heard birds during spring time, he could introduce the hens. The hens will not lay this late in the season, if they did, the eggs would not make it. It takes 28 day for incubation and 20 weeks for a mature bird.

Upstate NY is cock only even on your own property. They don' t care if you stock the birds or not. If you are on a shooting preserve, that is a different story. If you are hunting Long Island, NY it is 4 birds a day either sex. Cock only east of the Shinnacock Canel. On the North Folk it is either sex.

Steve/X-LINY
Pheasnant Hollow Farm

Old 10-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Most pheasants in SD sell for anyware from $ 6 to $15 depending on the age and time of year to the sex.

Quick Reply: Can you buy pheasants for your land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.