Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

German Shorthair Tempers

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default German Shorthair Tempers

Hey guys my GSP has been being wierd lately at bedtime. If he is sleeping on my bed or my parents bed and my brother or anyone else walks to the door, he will jump up and growl and bark and if they move he will run right too them as if he is going to attack them. I was wondering if this is common or if anyone may know why he is doing this or what.

He is also very protective of the yard, if strangers come in to the yard he will sometimes bark at them to unless they are with a family member.

He good with other dogs and strangers when we are out on walks or away from our home. He is just scary at bedtime. Just wondering if anyone has a protective GSP or may know how to break these habits.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I do - and that dog would not want to see JW's come to Jesus training session. It needs to be taught who the Alpha is and it is not that dog!

The dog is getting protective and needs to be put in its place. I suggest you get the help of a Pro - If I was closer I surely could help you.

And the temper has nothing to do with the breed of that dog as all dogs no matter what the breed will exhibit the same thing.

JW

Ps I ahve a contact for you and will PM you a phone number

Last edited by JW; 03-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

JW why is it that he doesnt respond this way to me or my parents just my brother and nephew? Is it strictly a dominance thing then? And in this situation how should my brother and nephew handle it. I know for sure my nephew is affraid to yell at the dog because he thinks he could get bit.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DoubleLung55
JW why is it that he doesnt respond this way to me or my parents just my brother and nephew? Is it strictly a dominance thing then? .
Simple answer ------ The dog does not yet realize that he is OMEGA to every other human (that is in his pack).

Last edited by Doc E; 03-14-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. he is setting up a pecking order. He figures that he ranks above your brother and nephew. Mine tried that, and I smacked her so hard that I knocked her off the bed. I felt real bad after that, and she was shaking her head trying to clear the stars that she must have been seeing, but it never happened again. She was my best friend for 17 years.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DoubleLung55
JW why is it that he doesnt respond this way to me or my parents just my brother and nephew? Is it strictly a dominance thing then?
Correct

And in this situation how should my brother and nephew handle it. I know for sure my nephew is affraid to yell at the dog because he thinks he could get bit.
That is the problem - handled wrong one could get bit and why I didn't mention it.
Me I take the dog down and dump it on its back while holding it down until it quick wiggling. My whole body weight is on the dog pinning it to the gorund.
You do need to be prepared if the dog gets ugly. I am always testing my dogs and watch closely as my grand kids are around my dogs.....there are certain things I don't let my grand kids do too!

JW
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alot guys, I see now that it is definately a dominace issue. I have had my nephew and brother working with the dog. Making him do things for them and such, also i have been doing more to let him know who is boss. I just hope that i can get this fixed without him biting anyone.

On a side note i took Trigger (my GSP) out to work some birds weds, he did awesome finding the chukars extremely fast. I just have to put some more work into him holding point but that shouldnt be too hard. But the real suprise came when we were walking back in toward the truck and he got birdie. I figured it was just a mole or mouse he was smelling when all of a sudden he stopped, pointed, started wiggling and then flushed a woodcock! I was real proud to see him find his first wild bird without any guidence from me. Also woodys are rare on our farm so i was also glad to see one there!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sounds as if your pup has all the tools DBL.....

If you would like to learn more on how to train that Versatile dog do check out a NAVHDA chapter in your area. It is how I got started some 25 yrs ago. And is where I was taught how to train......and now I have two highly trained versatile pointing dogs.

JW
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

most dogs that do this end up biting someone by year of 1.
its born in them.
i have no way of correcting it.
watch kids or adults that put their hands down to mouth of dogs like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Spike

It is dominating behavior. Have everyone dealing with him make him submit. If there is someone he wont submit to. The dog either has a screw loose or someone is not doing it right. But dogs that think they are the alpha should not be kept inside. Eventually they will bite someone.