Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Dove Season: Results Thus Far >

Dove Season: Results Thus Far

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove Season: Results Thus Far

Old 09-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dove Season: Results Thus Far

The season for this year wasn' t really great in my neck of the woods for whatever reason. We had a storm a few days ago but that was AFTER the first day though. The birds were flying alot higher up then they normally do. This is my result so far including morning and afternoon hunts. 1st day: 10 2nd Day: 7 3rd Day: 4th Day: 2.

The birds are flying way way up there now which i expected but not this early in the season. How did everyone else do?
Old 09-06-2003, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Dove Hunt: Results Thus Far

Hawk, I can' t complain. My place in MS has always been real good but this is a banner year. Opened at daylight Monday and I was limited (15) before 7am (shootin light was appx 6:20ish), lol the ol Citori was pretty warm! Shot the field again that afternoon and limited quickly then as well (the game warden aint in here is he?). Hunted the field again Thursday afternoon and limited again but it took some effort because we only had 3 hunters in a 30 acre field (had over 50 in it opening morning). Goin back again this afternoon for one last go-around and then its hurry up and wait for bowseason.

Beer, birds and buddies... thats what its all about!
RA
Old 09-06-2003, 08:12 PM

Not to good so far.Opening day we didn' t find a good field until 10:30 am.Most of the hunters had been there since 7:30am.The early hunters limited out around 11:30 or 12:00.Once they left the birds were harder to get up in the air.Today not more then three hunters showed up,not enough to keep the birds flying.I did get three birds out of four shots,and even found a box turtle.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:37 PM

first day mornig: 1 i was set up to hunt at 4:30 and idiots that didnt have permishion to hunt the ranch drove me out. First evening 1. but I had a grip load of dove given to me. I went a couple evenings later nothin. im thinking of hittin a grape vineyard that is close by.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:15 PM

Virginia cornfields (at least in the eastern side) have not really been cut yet.
A couple of farmers have cut some for hunting purposes mostly, but I can' t justify the huge charges to hunt opening week when it' ll only get better (& cheaper) in the next week or two.
Va has three seasons. The first is only noon till dusk. Can' t wait till the second season. I am always much more productive. By then, the migratory birds are coming through along with the locals. Seems to get them all worked up flying more.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

first day mornig: 1 i was set up to hunt at 4:30 and idiots that didnt have permishion to hunt the ranch drove me out. First evening 1. but I had a grip load of dove given to me. I went a couple evenings later nothin. im thinking of hittin a grape vineyard that is close by.

Yeah I think i know where you might be talking about. I try out near Shafter at the cememt canal. Are you going to again before the season ends? If so try out near Shafter. Email me and i can take you and a few people out there if you like.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:14 PM

Opening day was a good one for me. 15 doves with one box of shells using my Traditions O/U. It was my first time to shoot it and I' m very pleased with it. There were five hunters in our party and everyone but one got their limit. Poor guy shot four boxes of shells and had eight birds. We hunted over a watermelon field that had been disced up recently. Going to try hunting over a cut corn field in the morning. Big field and only two hunters, so we will have to find a flyway into the field to get our limits.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:40 AM

Red Hawk,
First time I have hunted dove. Wisconsin has opened the season up after 30+ years of leftist liberal wacko' s calling the mourning dove the " bird of peace" . I shot 10 doves so far. Not great but my lab and I had a ball. What a great stater to the HOLLY SEASON of hunting.

Any good recipes?

-Mathewsconquest
Old 09-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Virginia cornfields (at least in the eastern side) have not really been cut yet.
A couple of farmers have cut some for hunting purposes mostly, but I can' t justify the huge charges to hunt opening week when it' ll only get better (& cheaper) in the next week or two.
Va has three seasons. The first is only noon till dusk. Can' t wait till the second season. I am always much more productive. By then, the migratory birds are coming through along with the locals. Seems to get them all worked up flying more.
huh, i always do better in the early season than i do the later seasons. maybe not this year due to all the crops still standing. all the rain put off planting a few weeks, and due to that, the harvesting date has also been set back a few weeks. i can' t complain though, on our opener, i shot 7 doves in a few hours. could have limited, but there were a bunch of new guys and i wanted them to get some birds. all in all, had a blast and we' re having another dove shoot the 27th.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dove Season: Results Thus Far

I went again last couple of days with not too bad results. I went on Tuesday and only got about 4 but lost 2 in an cotton field. My dad and I went back out yesterday I got about 8 and lost 3; dad did about the same but lost 4. I probably wont go for the rest of the season since we only have about 3 more days left.

Quick Reply: Dove Season: Results Thus Far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.