Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Which Shotgun to get for New Bird Hunter? >

Which Shotgun to get for New Bird Hunter?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Which Shotgun to get for New Bird Hunter?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Spike

Question Which Shotgun to get for New Bird Hunter?

I'm looking into buying my first shot gun. i have narrowed it down between three guns.
First, the remington 887 Nitro mag, from the reviews i have read on this gun is that its nice but with the new ejectors remington is using alot of people are getting jams on shooting the empty shell out or reloading the new shell.
Second, the mossberg 530 ATS waterfowl series, again nice gun, but seeing alot of reviews of it jamming.
Third, I am leaning most towards the remington 870 express, a good reliable gun that has been around for a while, it has had its ups and downs but still a trustable gun.

I plan on doing a lot of bird hunting in the next couple years and want a reliable shot gun that i don't have to worry about jamming on me when I pull up for a shot. All advice and opinions would greatly help, thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

only 3 shotguns i would ever look at.benilli,franchi or beretta.

me, only one i would have is BERETTA URICKA FIELD.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

The best gun is the one that fits you. Shotgunning is fast. There's no squeezing the trigger or aiming the gun. It has to set immediately to shoulder and should have a natural point of aim.

The 870 is a nice starter gun. The Express is the cheaper gun compared to the Wingmaster. The finish isn't as nice and tend to rust (more than usual). I prefer to use an O/U for upland but when I did waterfowl, used a 870 12ga. The O/U I use is a SKB (Japan made) in 20ga. The only reason I don't use the 870 is simply because I prefer the 20ga but wouldn't hesitate to use the 870 if I still shot 12ga.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite
It has to set immediately to shoulder and should have a natural point of aim.
I am no expert, but I would say this is more important than the brand of gun you buy. Yes, there are differences in quality, but if the gun doesn't fit, you won't shoot a $2,000 gun well.

I started with a Winchester pump when I was a kid and never shot it well. When I put it to my shoulder it was pointing upward somewhat. I later got a Ruger Red Label OU and it just comes to a natural point when I should it. I am still not master shooter, but I shoot a whole lot better with the Ruger because it fits.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default nitro mag

you shooting birds or enemy ?

I have the Nitro Mag.....best you can get for under 400.00 .

actually ..surprised it is not more.

but..light, balanced, holds 2 3/4 , 3, and 3 1/2's too. as far as jams?

keep it clean, and oiled.

no problems.

unless you pay a grand for a higher end gun, you can't go wrong.'Mossberg, Bennelli.......awkward and flimsy.

go with the MAG !
Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
only 3 shotguns i would ever look at.benilli,franchi or beretta.

me, only one i would have is BERETTA URICKA FIELD.
For bird hunting Benilli and Benetta as mentioned above.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

For upland bird hunting or clay shooting a good rule of thumb is any of the 3 B's; Browning, Benelli or Beretta.

For waterfowl; choose a pump or autoloader.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

If I am not shooting a blackpowder shotgun, what I am using in the upland field is a Stoeger Condor 20ga over and under. But I also have a 12ga Remington Ultra Mag which is a nice shooting gun and an 870 express 20ga which is another nice shooting gun. cannot go wrong with an 870.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

Don't know what kind of birds your hunting but the 870 is the perfect all around gun and should be fine for bird hunting. It would be the first gun I would recommend to a new hunter on a budget or even if money wasn't an issue. Never handled the 887 but I've heard nothing but good things about that as well. From what I understand the 887 is just a beefed up 870.