Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Interested in getting into bird hunting >

Interested in getting into bird hunting

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Interested in getting into bird hunting

Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Spike

I will definitely check out the dove hunting. It seems I need to find some bird hunters to hang out with. Would a Brittany be a good first bird dog? I know some seem harder to train than others like a big English Pointer or something. I wouldn't get to hunt a bunch so it would be part fam dog to. My beagles only knew the pen and the woods, but don't have that time anymore with the kiddos. I know everyone has a different opinion, just curious of some of them.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Spike

Although I don't own a Brittany I do know some folks that hunt them and they are good hunting dogs as well as around the house.There are many different lines of Britts so do your homework. Like any other breed you need to find the example that fits your needs. Number one, make it fun for you and the girls.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe a little expansion on bird hunting. There are three things you need to be concerned about: 1. When, how and where to hunt, 2. How to shoot a gun, 3. Getting and training a gun dog.

The best way to learn is to have a friend(s) teach you all three but in the absent of a teacher, there are other options you can try.

1. When, how and where to hunt.

A forum like this is a good place to get information but its alittle broad. Most states will have a regional forums. This is where you can ask someone who wouldn't mind teaching you the ropes. Or you can ask how they would normally hunt a certain area.

2. How to shoot a shotgun.

This is fairly simple but very important. Shooting a flying target is different than shooting something on the ground. Your local range will always have someone willing to show you how to shoot or ask the rangemaster. Sometimes you'll find someone who also is into birds. Good way to make friends with the same interest. But above all practice, practice, practice.

3. Getting and training a gun dog.

This by far the hardest and time consuming of the three. For a hunting dog (vs. a field trial) the hardest seem to be the first year for most people. It depends on when they start formal training.

There are local chapters of various trial venues (NSTRA, AF, etc.) and a wealth of knowledge. Alot will also have training sessions available to members. But you should learn the basics methods including the lingo hence the book recommdations.

Another direction. A dog will learn alot from its owner. Any gundog breed can do well. Its how you train it. I like a dog thats bold, inquisitive, smart but trying to determine those traits is picking the winning lottery numbers. You can get better odds by doing research.

Certain lines, second breeding, established kennel, etc. should all factor in your research. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Banned

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Revolu.../dp/0525245499

I read this years ago when I started. I would say great for Brits and new dog owner.