Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Memories on Fathers Day

Old 06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default Memories on Fathers Day

I put some of this on a different post, but thought is was appropriate on Fathers Day. I would be interested in seeing some other people respond with their memories.

-----------------------------------------

Not enough time and effort is put into getting the next generation interested in the outdoors.

And that may come back to haunt all of us in the next couple decades.

When I was was a young boy, 7, 8, 9 (nearly 5 decades ago) my family kept out of state pheasant hunters on our South Dakota farm.

It was my favorite season of the year. I walked with the hunters, listened to their banter, carried birds, watched the birds dogs work, and couldn't wait for the day dad would let me carry a gun.

When I was 12, I got to carry an old 20 gauge single-shot. The limit was 3 roosters a day. And I got 3 shells for the day.

The message was - be very careful with this gun. Be careful when you shoot, and that when you shoot you have a good chance of success.

No "put as much lead in the air as you can". No sky-busting. The message was - this is a tool, respect it and I will teach you how to use it properly.

My dad took the time to teach a boy how to hunt. He is in his 80's now. What sweet memories he has blessed me with! Happy Fathers Day Dad.