Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
I would like to try hunting as a hobby? >

I would like to try hunting as a hobby?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I would like to try hunting as a hobby?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FishNWildGame
Anyone catch this new hunting show on Travel Channel called "The Wild Within"? Found it while flipping channels and found it pretty good. I missed the first few minutes of it but I was really impressed with what i saw, it really portrays us hunters the way we should be portrayed. highly recommend it. really excited to see next week's episode -- the host goes on a wild boar hunt in hawaii - http://www.vimeo.com/18798879
Saw a couple episodes,
The one iin alaska I really liked, guy quartered his deer in the field to pack it out,
He was also hunting for food, not a trophy,
Another episode took place out west, that one I didn't care for.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Beginning hunting as a hobby is really quite simple. Talk to locals, friends, or family who are hunters. Read some of the hundreds of hunting publications. Contact your local DNR. Find someone who is willing to let you tag along on a couple of their outings before you invest to much into it. If you enjoy it, then you are all set.

Originally Posted by bendonald
Am Ben, In my opinion, hunting is not a hobby, its firmly cruel activity.
I hate this type of activities. We have to like all creatures as we love each other.
Uneducation is a terrible thing. Ben, it is us, as hunters, who fund the majority of the wildlife conservation efforts around the world. We are also the #1 population control for many species that, without hunters, would soon overpopulate and begin massive die offs from starvation and disease.
As a hunter, I feel it is safe to say, that all the hunters on this site truly love animals, because any wild game tastes great when you add enough garlic.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FishNWildGame
Anyone catch this new hunting show on Travel Channel called "The Wild Within"? Found it while flipping channels and found it pretty good. I missed the first few minutes of it but I was really impressed with what i saw, it really portrays us hunters the way we should be portrayed. highly recommend it. really excited to see next week's episode -- the host goes on a wild boar hunt in hawaii - http://www.vimeo.com/18798879
Lotta my buddies when I was growing up there hunted pigs. They would get dogs from the pound and use army issued knives that they stole.

On the Big Island, I came across a few boars, one as high as my chest at the shoulder while bird hunting. Huge head, about 20" across. My young dog started sniffing and the pig was digging in the dirt. Luckily, in between was a bush so they couldnt see ea. other. This pig was only about 40' away and I only had a 20ga O/U with 7 1/2 shot. So, I shouted, it looked up and grunted once and fled.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Spike

Be careful. It's addicting.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by JW
Too bad Ben ~ the buying of hunting licenses, sports equipment, camping equipment and park fees (are many others) funds the many many widlife conservation programs to which benefits everydbody including you! Hunters are an important fact in the control of many wildlife populations and that is why game laws are published - so we as hunters have a sustainable populations.

And if you really loved everyone ~ you would try to understand rather than ridicule!
I agree with this statement and for Ben.. Up here in Maine they have been trying to give another burden to us. They are trying to make us register our double end canoes that we paddle. That is because they want to get more money from our water ways that the non hunters and non fisherman use to enjoy with all of us. That is a shame but they want money from all that enjoy the outdoors up here. The very same thing that the sportsmen pay for to try and keep it that way. So it is at least for now a free ride for those that do not hunt or fish. So that they enjoy exactly what the sportsmen does to presurve it and enjoy it. So becarefull they are looking for ways of charging you folks now as well. That will only add to our costs as sportsmen which we already pay to keep it.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bendonald
Am Ben, In my opinion, hunting is not a hobby, its firmly cruel activity.
I hate this type of activities. We have to like all creatures as we love each other.

Ben Donald
High quality tan leather briefcase
Hobo international lauren clutch
This dude is is classic! "Hunting is a cruel activity" BTW I have High quality leather briefcases for sale???

You should get my user name...