Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
How to start pheasant hunting >

How to start pheasant hunting

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

How to start pheasant hunting

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Spike

Default How to start pheasant hunting

My brother and I live on a 300 acre farm in upstate New York and we really would like to start pheasant hunting. We would like to raise maybe 120 pheasants in some empty chicken houses we have on the farm. I guess we would just like some advice on how to raise these, when to release them, where i should buy them, should i raise them?, should i buy the pheasants when they are ready to be released?, any other advice? thanks a lot everyone!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

The prices of pheasants I'd recommend buying them when they are ready to be released. One thing you will need to check into is can you legally release them on your property. I have all kinds of information on pheasants and raising them, releasing them, and so on.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

alright well I think I'll buy like 100 and release them if they are big enough and i would still like to breed them to have more. thanks for any other information/advice you have!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

your land is it primarily grassland, wooded, or agriculture? If you release too many birds at one time with out the habitat to support it you are just wasting your money.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Spike

well we mostly have agriculture and lots of woods. lots of fruits and vegetables everywhere. soy beans, corn, hay, wheat, etc. I think we may raise them and when they are big enough we will release them and keep breeding to get more.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to check the local regulations about releasing animals onto the property. Inevitably some will escape and begin to populate the surrounding area. This might land you in hot water with the local Game management authorities.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

If it is your land - you can do as you please.

As with the television show Bonanza, the man who owns the land makes the rules.

The Pennsylvania game commission does not say anything about releasing pen raised pheasants or chukars or quail..

They just don't want you to release turkeys, deer or other animals which are not wild or indigenous to the local area.

Pheasants has a survival rate of about 2% according to the PGC.

They are lucky to get 2 breeding pairs of birds per 1 sq mile in a protected area - when they release 100 birds.

You aren't going to hurt the local population.
But they also tell you that it costs them approximately $15 per a bird to raise them.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

The cost they are touting is a bit high but yeah its not cheap. You are money ahead letting someone else raise the birds and buy them from a supplier. I can buy pheasants right now full grown for about $6.00-$7.00 each running a 50/50 mix of hens to ****s.

The survival rate is correct it is very very low. Most of the time you are better off doing a put and take style hunting experience on your land if the regulations allow you to do that. You can experience the benefits of hunting the birds and you aren't just throwing money away by letting them loose never to be seen again.