Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ducks Unlimited?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ducks Unlimited?

Here in Northern Western Washington, Skagit county has been the place to go pheasant hunting for King (Seattle Metro), Snohomish and Skagit counties. Years previous, pheasant hunters have steadily increased in numbers to the point where its been getting very overcrowded.

Last year, we lost Headquarters unit over 600 acres to salmon restoration project and waterfowl habitat with the efforts of DU. This year, we lost Leque Island to same another 300 acres. Samish Island really isnt an alternative as most of the 300 acres are waterfowl habitat.

Now, DU is focused on efforts to make Cherry Valley (400 acres) partial waterfowl habitat.

Skagit county entire coast line is made up estuaries as is Whatcom county. That's tens of thousands of acres. Waterfowl hunters enjoy acres to themselves but pheasant hunters are now forced to go to Cherry Valley or take a 3 hour drive to FT. Lewis and crowd them out (that means leaving the house at 4am).

So, what to do? Should I be angry or? I gave up last season as it looked to be very dangerous and people came back with stories on how crowded it was last year.