Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Chokes??????

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Chokes??????

What are the best chokes to use for smaller birds like crows/pigeons/smaller birds. I am new to this so any help will be appreciated!!!
BigBuck95
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

It depends how far you are shooting, but I would say improved cylinder for 12 ga, maybe modified or full with a 20 ga
Old 01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I spent years when I was younger using a 28" barrel 12 ga with a modified choke. It was hard to hit anything with that. I finally got a 26" over/under double and put improved cylinder in the top (first) barrel and modified in the bottom barrel. My hit rate went way up. I also use high brass size 6 shot for squirrel and grouse. I use low brass 7 1/2 for dove and quail. I still use the same chokes though. I have killed 2 turkeys with the gun using 3" magnums with full choke. The last turkey was at 40 yards.

**Disclaimer** I am by no means an expert as I mostly deer hunt so hopefully other, more experienced shot gunners will chime in.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

If your hunting timber a skeet tube will work well, field hunting iwould go with i/c'bigger birds ie..pheasant modified.