Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Best gun for extra small birds? >

Best gun for extra small birds?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best gun for extra small birds?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Best gun for extra small birds?

What do you suggest? I don't need anything too powerful as I am hunting near my house and my mom is paranoid of guns so yeah. Should I use pellet gun or what? Please help, I need something to kill small, small birds, like black birds and just small stuff like that. So yeh, I am just looking for a beginner gun that will kill some small birds. What do you suggest? Thank-you in advance! cheers
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Personally, I frown on people killing for the sake of killing. Unless you are going to eat it or know someone who wants to eat it, leave it alone. If they are a nuisance then get a professional or look up your state laws concerning them. These forums are for hunters who buy licenses and hunt during regulated seasons. They hopefully follow all laws before harvesting.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

^^^yes, but some birds are illegally introduced and will kill native species. So killing starlings and English sparrows wont hurt my feelings, they compete with native species for habitat and are considered invasive species.

A good accurate pellet gun with a rifled barrel will be my suggestion.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go;

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?...&productID=234
Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Spike

Default Lean Muscle X

Hello everyone I am new hunter in this site. I need a gun for hunting the small birds. Please suggest me.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Spike

Look for a gun that is easy to carry. Portability is very important. Because bird hunting involves a lot of walking and the ability to draw and shot very quickly, you will need to select a gun that is light enough to not weigh you down on your hunt. An ideal shotgun for upland hunting weighs around 7 lbs. Your size and overall strength will determine whether or not you can comfortably handle a larger gun. Keep in mind that if you do choose a heavier gun, you must be able to point and swing it accurately. The less a gun weighs the more kick or recoil it will produce.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

.410 should do the trick.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Spike

My favorite bird gun is my Ruger Red Label in 28 gauge. That thing is light and fast swinging. Shells, however, do get a little expensive when hunting on a dove field. My "new" 1915 AH Fox sxs, 16 gauge, 28" barrels, xfull and improved modified, is growing on me real quick. I have a hard time with doves close in, but we'll see how she does on pheasant come November. Agarr, can you post some of your model 21 pics. My recent introduction to Old American made guns has brought a new appreciation for those fine old gems.