Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

first pheasant hunt!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default first pheasant hunt!!!

well i went on my first pheasant hunt. it was at a small hunting preserve in ashland, ohio. i used my great grandpa's iver johnson double barrel 12 gauge that is almost 100 years old. i was using low brass 2 3/4 #6 shells. i ended up getting 2 chukar and 2 **** pheasants at the preserve. it was extremely fun and i am hoping to be able to go again in march and use my double barrel muzzleloading shotgun. after the hunt we went to my house to do some rabbit hunting. it turned out to be a great day for rabbits. we hunted a little piece of our family farm and in a couple hours we managed to jump 13 rabbits. most of them holed up but we managed to shoot 4 rabbits that the dog ran. also i made a heck of a jump shot on a rabbit on a dead run through heavy timber. all in all we had a great time and i cant wait to do it again.cheers SS
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice going!!!!!!! Welcome to the site.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

SS,

Sounds like you had a great day and that line-up looks like you provided some good eats also.

Welcome to the site...........................all the best for the New Year !
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

Hi,

Looks like it was a fine day! Those big roosters are something when they explode from cover. Very addicting.

And using your Great Grandfather's shotgun makes it doubly special. Just go easy on the old girl and use lower pressure shells, (low brass doesn't mean low pressure). Not because it dangerous, Iver Johnson made a fine and rugged workingman's shotgun. But because it can be shot loose over time with higher pressure loadings. And your Great Grandson should use it on his first pheasant hunt. I still hunt with my Grandfather's NID from time to time.

Now, when did you say supper was being served?

dalee
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Spike

thoae look like bobwhite quail to me
Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, looks like you had fun
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Spike

i went on my first pheasnt hunt this fall too and i got 1 pheasnt on public land with my remington 11-87 12gauge with lead #6 shells saw lots of birds
Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Spike

Congratulations!

I fondly remember my first pheasant hunt in Southeastern Nebraska some 30 years ago. My father and I with our 2 pointers named Bubba and Echo and 1 shorthair named Shadow. Don't remember if I got anything but I do remember that it was the best day of my life.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

i went pheasant hunting twice last year in SD I limited out every day I was strictly a big game hunter but now I am hooked on upland game to! Its fun. looks like u had fun
Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

This post is kind of late but this past season was my first time hunting ANYTHING, or even shooting a gun. My fiance and his family hunt a lot, so they're teaching me everything they know! Here is a pic from one day pheasant hunting.
Attached Thumbnails first pheasant hunt!!!-10-31-09-1-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.