Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
What kind of shotgun should i start out with? >

What kind of shotgun should i start out with?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What kind of shotgun should i start out with?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default What kind of shotgun should i start out with?

I need to know what kind of shotgun i should start out bird hunting with? So please give me some suggestions.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

Hi,

Just what kind of birds do you want to hunt?

Generally speaking, you can seldom go wrong with a good pump shotgun. They are inexpensive and reliable. Autoloaders are fine if you are recoil sensitive. O/U's are more costly. But have the advantage of generally being better handling than pumps or autos.

The 12ga. is far and away the most popular bore size. It's very versatile. It can be loaded with the lightest target loads to the heaviest of hunting loads. The down side is they tend to be bigger and heavier than the 20ga. or other smaller gauges. The 20ga. while tending to be lighter and smaller than the 12ga. often have a sharper perceived recoil. Nor can they deliver the same sized payload with the same velocity. This matters when shooting steel shot. There's a big difference between 1oz of #2 @ 1250fps and 1 1/4oz. of #2 @ 1500fps.

What brand and action type you choose is secondary to the need for the gun to fit you. A shotgun needs to point where you are looking. And it needs to fit well enough so it can do that without you having to be conscious of making it so. A gun that doesn't fit is a poor club. If you have to, find a fitter and have them tailor the gun to you. It's worth every penny.

Good Luck!
dalee
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Single shots for beginners are best, so that they develope the idea of "one shot = one kill". O/U or SXS would be next best (some kind of "broken" guns). Safety FIRST !
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dalee gave you good advice. The part about "GOOD FIT" IMO is very important,it'll make you shot better.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Single shots for beginners are best, so that they develope the idea of "one shot = one kill". O/U or SXS would be next best (some kind of "broken" guns). Safety FIRST !
Hi,

I do agree with the whole safety first statement of yours. That is job #1 no matter what with a firearm.

But in my old age and dotage, I've come believe that single shot break action shotguns aren't the best for new shooters. And for a number of reasons.

First, I don't like the manual exposed hammer found on most single shots. Many of them rely on the rebounding hammer as the safety. So you either have **** the hammer to shoot on the flush or you walk with the hammer ****ed. The last is patently unsafe and the first is distracting to a new shooter at best. I want my new hunters to concentrate on target ID and safe shooting zones. The fewer other things they need to do the better.

Secondly, single shots tend to be light weight guns. Light enough to make recoil a problem with heavier hunting loads. A 5lbs 20ga. with 7/8oz or 1oz hunting load has more than a bit of bite to it. And a .410 doesn't have enough energy or pattern density to be effective on wild game birds like the bigger bores.

Third, I find that new shooters tend to out grow singles very quickly. So they may as well have a gun that will last them for years. Besides, any safety and shooting techniques are as easily taught with any one gun as another.

And last but not least, if you are ready to go afield with me and my dogs hunting birds, the number of shells your gun holds is immaterial to me. Because you will have demonstrated to me all the proper gun handling safety needed before that point. Anyway, I want you to shoot. It's not much fun for the new hunter if they feel like they are restricted. We will discuss taking good shots vs. bads ones as we go. That's one thing the range doesn't teach well. Experience is the best teacher.

dalee
Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Spike

870 is a solid choice
Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about this one then; this is one I own.

http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Fie...2&idv=1&id=894

Or if $$$ is an issue; try this one:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...model_2000.php

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Ok. well aside from the fact that we don't know anything about what type of experience you have as a hunter I'll make my suggestion. If you are an inexperienced hunter you are going to want to learn the value of that first shot however, I still would persist in you getting a pump or semi auto shotgun. (if you want the experience of a single shot then just load one shell) I happen to be a remington man so my suggestion would be an 870 or 11-87 or atleast something along those lines. Remington and mossberg are both know for making quality guns that are reasonably priced. My personal upland gun is a Remington SP-310. Despite what anyone else may say about them, I've had mine for three years and its never let me down. I've had my 870 since ,98 and it has been to heII and back and still does well. As far as what gauge you should use, if you're learning then I would actually say a 20 ga is a better bet than a 12 ga. Now, saying that I do have to say that the 12 ga is my personal favorite shotgun however, the 20 ga will help you learn to be a better shooter by providing less recoil and a smaller pattern. Anything you can hit with a 20ga you can hit with a 12 ga. That being said, if you tell us a little more about your experience and what exactly you mean to use this for other than the general term "birds" I may be able to give you better feed back.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Exposed hammer guns are not that great in the safety department. Once it is ****ed there is no safety. How does a beginner un**** their shotgun? I almost got my left foot blown off by a kid with one of these! That 16 gauge left a smoking hole in the grass less than 6 inches from my boot.
Single shot guns have their place in this world (inexpensive, reliable, etc.) but they are fixed choke, light weight, and swing poorly.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Uncle,

I guess I would say be happy it wasn't an autoloader otherwise you might of had BOTH feet blown off.

Unsafe is unsafe VS safe.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.