Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

[Deleted]

Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-31-2003, 09:15 PM

Default RE: What kind of dog should I get

One that is right for you and your hunting style and/or situation. I personally like the versatile breeds and my personal breed of choice would be the GSP. Now this may not be yours so your going to have to take or look up all the knowledge of the different breeds you may consider and even watch them hunt or in hunt tests if possible. A good place to check to see if any are coming up or close to where you live is to check out different breed registration clubs and look when and where they are conducting the test www.navhda.org if your thinking or a retriever or a pointer www.akc.org and just a retriever www.hrc.org.

I guess first you need to decide if you want a pointing or a flushing dog/breed. Next after you have narrowed that is the dog going to be a house dog or kenneled outside. Many breeds are people orientated and have difficulty being kenneled and this may elliminate a few of your choices. After that I would look for the least amount of severe health problems that are genetic. I would also decide on a long or short haired dog depending on your preference. Mine is leaned toward short I hunted over a couple of brittanies when I was your age and hated taking 30 minutes after the hunt cleaning the dogs coat. Now some and maybe your one do not mind or actually enjoy this time with the dog, again it is a personal choice. Once you have narrowed it down to a few dogs and was impressed with the breeds you either hunted over and/or watched in a hunt test you should be able to make a personal descision. I would not buy a dog because it may be someone elses choice it should be yours and yours alone, your going to have to purchase it and food, vet bills, toys, training book or aid, kennel etc. etc. so your going to have a financial interest. More importantly if you have done your homework you will have a much larger interest in the bonding of the animal for many years.

Best of luck in the pup you choose or you may even want to purchase a started dog so good luck in YOUR decision. After you make a decision you are going to have to work on researching breeders and dogs. Make sure hips are OFA and certain breeds you will need knees or front anles as well also eye certs on some too. Certain breeds have heredatory risks and these precautions may help in preventing you to go through major bills and discomfort. Also ask for referals and any health problems in the past.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

those are good points in the other post, i get to the point where i can' t decide what my next breed should be also. do some research, gun dog magazine covers both flushing and pointing breeds, and training tips for both. talk to people near you with bird dogs, and see if they will show you their dog in action. if you are just going to use it for your own personal use (not contests) you may want to stay away from breeders who use their dogs for them, they can be hard to control. whatever you get, the most important thing to do first, is to spend time with them, so they will want to please you, and hunt for you.
email me if i can help you out more
Old 06-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

If you want a flusher (and your first pheasant dog should be a flusher), get a Springer Spaniel. They are the best best pheasant dogs, bar none. And your young legs should be able to keep up with one, too.

If you want a pointing dog, the English Setter is the only way to go. Period.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:55 AM

First off I totally disagree with seattlesetter. If you want a flushing breed fine look for a breed you want. By all means by what he suggests that your legs should be able to keep up is wrong. He is implying a person should carry a loaded gun and run to keep up with a flushing breed when it is on a track. The breed of choice you choose in a flushing dog should be taught hup similar to a pointing dog being taught whoa.

Second I do not suggest you look at one' s personal choice or opinion because it can be extremely bias. In a way if they like there dog and the breed it should be rightly so to be bias, but not where it concerns another persons committment, responsibility and finiancial resorces. Now many dogs get purchased just for pets, which is sad, especially in a sporting breed class. So keep this in mind but you can look at what the majority of consumers purchased or registered last year through AKC. Simply go to www.akc.org and on the left side click on registration statistics.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Spike

[:-]BOYKIN SPANIEL!!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:49 PM

I agree with Seatle Setter on Field Bred English Springer Spaniel. Not only are great pheasent dog but argueably the most versitile birddog. they work close and have great temperment
http://www.essfta.org/essfta/spanmanl_toc.htm
Old 06-30-2003, 11:22 PM

I would like to have 2 pheasant dogs a pointer to find the birds, keep the flusher at heal then let him go and flush the birds.

Remember REAL dogs have tails, not nubs!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 08:44 AM

We have a pheasant hunting guide service in SD and we use labs and springer spaniels both are great hunters as well as great family dogs, our 2 year old climbs all over them and they just sit there. Great hunters, great kid dogs.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:04 AM
TWC

One' s choice in breeds is like one' s choice in trucks. Whatever makes you happy, is the right choice. I hunt over Brittany' s, I drive an International Travelall. Does this mean everyone should? No! It' s what brings a smile to your face, that' s important. JMO

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.