Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

[Deleted]

Old 10-13-2003, 01:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: What kind of dog should I get

Find a hunt club in your area or a dog trial and watch the different dogs work. Talk to the owners, find out why they are hunting this breed. Talk to breeder and watch their dogs hunt or if you are lucky they let you hunt them with them.

I hunt brittanys now, we used to hunt springers. But brits are easier to have around in the southwest and very loving companion dogs. And I either drive a Jeep Cherokee or a Ford F 250, depending on terrain and how much people and gear. It' s all one' s personal preference.

And check out websites. You can start with this one and watch the boys hunting on the video

http://www.highdesertbrittanies.com/
Old 10-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

HNI Visitor,

Since I don' t have experience with other breeds I' ll tell you what I do know about my springer. My grandfather had springers along with my Uncle and I just am partial to them. So I got my first birddog two years ago yesterday and started working with him the day he arrived. His father is a good hunter and he has been easy to train and loyal as the day is long. I enjoy watching him pheasant hunt more than any other part of the hunt and I also hunt with my friend' s black labs. They are excellent dogs too and either would be good for a first dog. I' d love to own a gsp, lab, or setter some day but for now I' ve got one springer that I love dearly.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:41 PM

What ever breed you settle on make sure you research the breeder and expect to pay for a pup from an established breeder. I' d advise you to stay away from backyard breeders.

I own a young French Brittany, a pointer. French Brittanys make great family dogs and hunters, at the same time. Their fairly rare, but they can be found. Other dogs to look at are Welsh Spring Spaniels and English Springer Spaniels (flushers). A buddy owns an American Brittany and that dog is hyper, where as my French Brittany is relatively calm.