Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

best way to hunt doves??

Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default best way to hunt doves??

I havent done much dove hunting. Whats the most successful way you guys have dove hunted?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt by two methods -walking along corn and grain fields or sitting in a flyway.
I have 2 german shorthairs that will run parallel to me in the high corn zigzagging between rows flushing out doves that otherwise might not fly. Then after the shot the dogs help me locate the downed birds. I have found that the corn and grain fields that have exposed dirt between rows or under the grain hold more birds- probably because they are able to find grit there to help them digest their food.
When hunting flyways I try to find where the birds roost and set up on them in the evening and wait for them to start taking to the trees. I don't have any major flyways where I live so I set up where the birds fly to and from the fields.
This year has not been very productive for me, I am just not seeing many doves anywhere. But I have another week before I start deer hunting so I will be doing alot of hunting this upcoming week for doves. Good Luck to Ya!

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 09-17-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just know that they are roosting birds.

So, in the morning they need a drink, then feed, water again and then back to roost.

PM - look for birds to feed/water and then head back to roost for the night.

Look for those large shade trees near water and fields...........be in between, but get in some cover.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

What the guys said above. I take a weed trimmer and find some tall grass and leave about a foot in front and clear out a spot to sit/kneel, or squat behind the cover. In the shade preferably especially down here in S.Texas.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch the fields where you see doves fly, and pay attention to the routes they follow. They will stick to the general flight paths, even with a little shooting pressure.

Doves have good eyesight and will often flare if they see you rise or swing when mounting your shotgun. Depending on the layout of your dove area, you may be able to work the terrain to your advantage, and find a treeline or break where they fly over or through. Find a place to ambush them, and you may get some decent "pass shooting".

Doves can really move when they need to, so you really have to lead them. Also watch them when you or a buddy pulls the trigger. Some doves, especially ones that have been shot at before, will put the moves on.

Have fun and watch out and keep track of where others are, especialy if you swing on low flying birds.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Step one. Find a place where u constintly are seeing doves, like in grain feilds. Or even plowed over feilds work great. Step two. BUY A MOJO DOVE DECOY!!!!..make sure it is a motorized one though. and put in between sorces of water, food, just places doves fly by. Close to a dead tree or in a plowed feild works great. Then FIND COVER, and have some fun. Hunt in the early mournings, or at about 5-7:30 pm here in ohio. The birds are just then starting to go to their roosting trees and a "late night snack". O yeah one more thing...THESE SUCKERS ARE FAST! wait for them to circle around the mojo and prepare for a land, then shoot.

Good Luck, PH
Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Spike

Great advice here. Dove hunting is so dang awesome.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Spike

I'm going to have to give that mojo a try.

Everything these above posts say are spot on. Have a good time wing shooting bud.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find the right water hole/pond and you won't need a decoy of any kind. Matter of fact, might need something to cool the gun barrel. Scout and find the best water hole, get permission to hunt it, and have fun.

Our group shot nearly 350 doves in 4 days over Labor Day weekend. Had our limits before sun down every evening. By simply driving around and finding the right "spot".
Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Spike

thanks for all the tips guys