Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Quail

Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Spike

Unhappy Quail

As a very avid quail hunter it is with great sadness that I must say I haven't been since 2002..sad isn't it??? I've owned Brittany's for over 30 years now and still have two fine ones at home,one has not ever pointed a quail in his life and the other ,she probably has forgot what they smell or look like!!!!!
At one time here in Indiana I could go anywhere hunting quail,farm to farm..no problem..but now with all the farms being sold off to ...well out of staters...they do not want you on their land..that's totally up to them!!! Then I hunted in Kansas,Iowa,and other states and now just trying to get someone to go with you is a job in itself,I've even stayed for up to 2 weeks at a time by myself...so for now I guess I'll stick with hunting pheasant and driving from Indiana to South Dakota,North Dakota,Kansas...seems like finding someone to go that far for pheasant is no problem.......
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default quail

I hear what you are saying. I do not really have problem with people letting me hunt, its the lack of birds. I know most farmers in the area, I grew up with their kids, and grew up with some of them. Luckily I have my anual south dakota trip to look foward to.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

We always kept the Quail feeders on the property, but for the last 7 or 8 years there has been less and less covey's..........We have noticed more and more coyotes every year in this area........

Same thing with turkey poults..........
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have the lack of bird problem here also.So we have to make do with the dove.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default birds

Coyotes are a big problem here too. Not sure which is worse, them or ferrel cats. They are not worth anything so people quit hunting them. I try to do my part, I have killed 3 this summer. I was out running my dogs on my 4wheeler and this coyote ran along with me and the dogs. He wasnt scared of me, he was very well fed also. I had a covey of 22 quail behind my house, hoping coyotes didnt get them all.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 15 acres around Indy with high fence, trying to turn it into bird habitat. It's not perfect, but as a safe sancuary from coyotes you'd think I'd have some coveys. I have never seen a quail here, though I occasionally hear them in the area.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 09-09-2009 at 06:25 AM.